Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 weather conditions on rifles >

weather conditions on rifles

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

weather conditions on rifles

Old 01-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: weather conditions on rifles

I have the heater running in the wood shop as we speak (you might say..) to dry it out a little and I want to go in there and cast some projectiles today or tomorrow. I have to decide if I need to shoot some rifles today or tomorrow. And I will do the test with the Pyrodex,and run the same in a rifle with Triple Se7en 2f. Just to see if it makes a difference.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:00 PM

I need to let my friend know about your test. He decided to leave his Encore loaded for the entire ML season this year and just de-prime it. I should have asked him if he fired off on the last day, he often pulls the bullet. Although he tents it so the temperature probably stays quite consistent as compared to a warm environment. I am sure that after I show him this he will go back to unloading it each evening.

I think that our weather conditions are probably very similar here in MN. That condensation factor can be terrible on any metallic object. I have seen capped galvanized pipe have droplets all over the inside just from the temp change. I will spend the extra time and clean the gun in the evening this coming season, hate to blow an opportunity at a deer.

Mike
Old 01-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

HD Road King

Just to indicate a differnece, I have an old guy, really old but has been shooting ML's all his life here in Idaho,I use to work with, hunts with a CVA Woodsman percusion gun, use real BP and conicals. He never unloads his... His sits all year with a load in it and come hunting season next year out it comes...

Now I do not think it is a smart idea, but different strokes or what ever floats your boat...

Old 01-06-2007, 01:53 PM
Dominant Buck

HD Road King - my test results should no way indicate what will happen at your house. All of that is subject to a lot of factors that are beyond my control. I am trying now to dry out the woodshop a little more and then want to repeat the test with some different powders. I still think the humidity during the day were the big factor in all of my problems.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:06 PM

Cayugad,
So then would the humidity be more of a factor then the codensation that can form from the quick temperture change.

How well do the CO2 un-loaders work as for unloading versus firing. Would you still need to clean the gunto remove any of the un-fired powder residue?

This is very interesting Dave, keep us posted on the results. My notebook is getting more pages added to it everyday with notes from interesting topics.

Mike
Old 01-06-2007, 02:14 PM

SabotLoader,

That is interesting. I had asked my buddy about that early this Fall when I had told him that I was going to get started in muzzlloading. He said that he would unload every evening and give the gun a thorough cleaning. He would often pull the bullet during lunch and go back into the woods with a fresh charge if there was the slightest amount of dew in the air.

Then this year he left that Encore loaded for the entire season. I am not sure what caused him to change his mind if it was something he had read possibly. I do need to ask him if he ever fired it at the end of the 3 week season.

Does the un-fired powder cause any type of contamination in the barrel or is it just after the powder ignite that it can cause the problems?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

Dave, any chance you could just put it outside? I am really thinking about loading up one of the remingtons and just put it outside on the deck in the weather. We have 4/6" of snow here right now and lousy weather scheduled for the next 7 days. I'll bring it in about 4:00 p.m.wipe it down, take off the muzzle mitt and pull the spent shotgun primer put it back out around 6/7 in the morning.

Then I will have to drive it to the farm to be able to shoot it @ the end of the experiment... I just re-scoped it and it is bore sighted but not sighted in - so I can accomplish that also....

Just thinking.....

Old 01-06-2007, 02:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Sure I can put them outside under the porch against a railing where there should be no problem. I will then bring one rifle into the wood storage room off the house, and the other into the garage which is not as humid. Maybe load up a third rifle and move that one from the back wood room and finally to the house, then each morning back out on the porch.

I will load one with Pyrodex, one with Triple Se7en, and one with black powder.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dave, I really didn't think you would go for it...
Old 01-06-2007, 03:22 PM
Dominant Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: HD Road King

Cayugad,
So then would the humidity be more of a factor then the codensation that can form from the quick temperture change.
There really were no quick temperature changes, so it just had to be natural condensation.

How well do the CO2 un-loaders work as for unloading versus firing. Would you still need to clean the gunto remove any of the un-fired powder residue?
I never used one. Others that have used then said they work real good.

Quick Reply: weather conditions on rifles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.