Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 weather conditions on rifles >

weather conditions on rifles

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

weather conditions on rifles

Old 01-05-2007, 01:43 PM

Default RE: weather conditions on rifles

The one weather related problem I have had is trying to get a sabot to go down a clean dry barrel when it was three degrees above zerooutside. Stuck the bullet/sabot about an inch down the barrel. Didn't dare try to shoot it out - since the powder was triple 7. Couldn't tap it back out from the rear without hitting the rod a lot harder than what I wanted - using an object to tap with that was not made for precision tapping (a brick). So I just came back to the shop and let the gun warm up to room temperature for about four hours. It pushed right out.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:27 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

So what good are those Plastic primer jackets if they dont seal out the moisture? I always saw them putting a knight rifle into a bucket of water for some time and then showing the rifle going right off. Have you done any tests with pyrodex rs and or T7? Kind of pisses me off when they advertise a product for being able to do something and it turns out not to be true. I was going to shoot my gun today but ol' man winter stopped in to say hello for a 3ed time in 2weeks. I'd like to know what the RS or T7 does.
The orange primer disc I use is the older Knight Disc technology, not like the red disc at all. Actually I do not think this had anything to do with primers, disc, or the handi wrap I used to cover the ends of the barrels. I think it was just pure condensation that happened. Somewhere, somehow, water condensed in that barrel.

I can understand the house part of theexperiment, but the shop should have stayed dry. Although I will admit in the woodshop the water was running down the windows from the humidity. Now think what it was doing in the barrel of those rifles.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

During the two week genral firearm season I had my Remington 700 50 cal loaded with#11 CCI mag cap80gr. T7 .429, 240gr HP XTP. Rained for the first 3 days. I had the muzzle covered with plastic wrap. On the 4th evening I fired it off at a stump. It hit the stump right where I aimed. Cleaned and reloaded it, hunted the rest of the season with it and into 4 days of the ML season.
On the 5th day of ML season I switched to my Remington 54 cal loaded with a Remington STS 209 cap 100gr. T7 451 230gr. HP XTP. Hunted the remaining 10 days with it. At the end of the season I sat it in the unheated honey house for another 3 days where the 50 had been sitting still loaded. They both shot off with afresh cap & primer. I cleaned both reloaded them took them back out to the honey house and laid them on the counter for 5 days. Again they both fired.
During that time we had temps from as low as 15F during the night to as high as 53F during the day. Of the32 days of deer season we had rain14 days, two days with wet sticky snow, Cloudy damp weather10 days and the rest were sunny or at least partly sunny.
I decided that T7 and the sabots I was useing were sealing the rifle fine. Also that the POI was still with in what I had tested groups at.
Yes My test were done in 20F plus weather.

Al
Old 01-06-2007, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dave, interesting test - thanks.

You might try loading up your UMag with T7 and a Bull Shop with wad(s). Cap it and leave it capped. Do an inside-outside routinefor about three days. Betcha she fires instantly when you try her.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

alleyyooper

During the two week genral firearm season I had my Remington 700 50 cal loaded with#11 CCI mag cap80gr. T7 .429, 240gr HP XTP. Rained for the first 3 days. I had the muzzle covered with plastic wrap. On the 4th evening I fired it off at a stump. It hit the stump right where I aimed. Cleaned and reloaded it, hunted the rest of the season with it and into 4 days of the ML season.
On the 5th day of ML season I switched to my Remington 54 cal loaded with a Remington STS 209 cap 100gr. T7 451 230gr. HP XTP. Hunted the remaining 10 days with it. At the end of the season I sat it in the unheated honey house for another 3 days where the 50 had been sitting still loaded. They both shot off with afresh cap & primer. I cleaned both reloaded them took them back out to the honey house and laid them on the counter for 5 days. Again they both fired.
During that time we had temps from as low as 15F during the night to as high as 53F during the day. Of the32 days of deer season we had rain14 days, two days with wet sticky snow, Cloudy damp weather10 days and the rest were sunny or at least partly sunny.
I decided that T7 and the sabots I was useing were sealing the rifle fine. Also that the POI was still with in what I had tested groups at.
Yes My test were done in 20F plus weather.
This is exactly pretty much my routine, I mean really close... and I have never had a failure - I no I should and if I do I know it will be my fault - but it has not happened - to me or my hunting partner who is using a 54 Hawken & powerBelts.

But that is exactly why I asked Dave to run the test, I really can not explain it. All of my ML's a stuck away right now but I really am trying to think of a way I could run something like the same test here... The only thing I would have to drive a distance to shoot it.

But I think I load up one of the remington's and give it a go... we are suppose to have really lousy cold wet & damp weather for the next couple of weeks...

It is strange how things are different for different people - bugs me...

Old 01-06-2007, 09:39 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

Dave, interesting test - thanks.

You might try loading up your UMag with T7 and a Bull Shop with wad(s). Cap it and leave it capped. Do an inside-outside routinefor about three days. Betcha she fires instantly when you try her.
Risk my White to the elements??? Bite your tongue.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Dominant Buck

If you saw how humid it is this time of year in my out buildings, it would shock you. When the temperatures really drop, I can use the one for a freezer. I have another test I want to try that might be a little more fair. I want to run my Mr. Heater in on building for a while and dry it out some then repeat the test. In other words dry it out. The other test would be to leave the other rifle in the attached wood room to the house and not bring it into the house. While it does not get cold out there, it is cool, and dry. Should make an interesting test.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:31 AM

Cayugad - would you have time to change one element of your testing? Substitute a couple of Pyrodex pellets for the black powder charge and see what happens . . . .
Old 01-06-2007, 11:34 AM
Dominant Buck

I can only substitute loose Pyrodex. I shot all my pellets off last week and do not plan an new powder order for some time. Would that be all right?
Old 01-06-2007, 11:44 AM

Yes, if you wouldn't mind. I'm now wondering if the substitute powders will ignite more reliably than genuine black powder in this condensation contaminated environment. I'd help with the testing if I could - but I can't duplicate the conditions, with respect to humidity, that you have at your location. This is a worthy test to pursue, Professor Cayugad.

Quick Reply: weather conditions on rifles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.