Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Saberteeth....

Old 01-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default Saberteeth....

I've been a maxiball shooter for 30 years and participation on this board has encouraged me to experiment. I'm not tossing my old sidelock in the can, but I did try some Sabertooth bullets yesterday. I tried the 250's with 80 grains of RS and was impressed with accuracy relative to maxiballs. I was only shooting at 50yds, but I am a bit puzzled with one thing. Of the 10 or so Sabers I shot, 3 required me to pull the bolster screw and add some powder.(I dryswabbed once between shots but some fouling at the juncture of the breech/bolster must have created blockage).On each of those occasions, the bullet flew 3-4 inches higher than the other 7. I have a scope on this gun. I would have thought that 80 grains behind a 250 bullet would be virtually flat at 50 yds. such that a bump to 90 grains would not change the impact point materially. Is this a common phenomenon?
Old 01-03-2007, 12:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Saberteeth....

I also have been shooting the Sabertooth bullets and like you find them very accurate. I was shooting them out of a Knight Disc rifle with 90 grains of Kik 3f powder. Lots of power and the accuracy was more then acceptable. The 300 grain shoot real good actually. I only shot five of each, since I want to test them in different rifles.

I am guessing that your dry swabbing was the cause of your problems. With a traditional rifle when I swab the barrel I use pure isopropyl alcohol. I swab the damp patch both sides, then two dry patches. If you have any doubt about the fire chamber, shoot a cap off before loading. You will then have a better chance that all is well.

It sounds like you have a good load there.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Typical Buck

Cayugad, I am going to try the 300's also. I've always preferred heavy bullets. Any comment on the "high" hits from 10 added grains? I thought about your alcohol swabbing when I was shooting. I wondered about residue moisture and your 2 dry patches clarify that. thanks.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:28 PM

Aren't those basically the same as the Powerbelts but cheaper? I'll have to try them out sometime.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:52 PM
Typical Buck

I'm getting them $9.75 for 15 at the range where I shoot. I know they can be had for less. Go buy some and fall in love with 'em so they keep making them!
Old 01-03-2007, 02:20 PM

I'll have to do that sometime!!! It sounds like the way to go.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

They are very similar in some ways a bit cheaper a bit more accurate in my gun and they tend to hold together better and penatrate better out of my gun. Lee
Old 01-03-2007, 03:08 PM
Dominant Buck

I get them from MidSouth or MidWay (why did they have to do that with their names). They are $8.95 for 15 of them so they are about half what a powerbelt costs. They basically sit in a little plastic cup like sabot and are slip fit. I push them under the muzzle with simple thumb pressure and then set them with the rod. No short starter needed.

The pure alcohol swab works good in cold weather. But that still does not mean you do not use a couple dry patches. It really worked good for me. With the 300 grain I was swabbing between shot, all but once. Can you tell which one that was? With the 250 grain I was swabbing every other shot, and it shows in the groups.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:16 PM

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

Aren't those basically the same as the Powerbelts but cheaper? I'll have to try them out sometime.
They are almost like them but the bullets sit in this stupid cup and they dont hold the bullet in place and fall out of the barrel if its upside down. I emailed cabelas for the companys main email address so i could email them a complaint on what i found when i used them and they never would email me back.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Next time I shoot some of the Sabertooth conicals, I will see if I can shake them loose like you mention. I only shot ten of them but never saw a problem loading them and shooting them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.