HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Barns Bullets (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/173246-barns-bullets.html)

roger1shot 01-03-2007 07:50 AM

Barns Bullets

HI,
What do ya'll think about the Barn's Copper Bullets?
Brother is changeing from T/C 300gr polymer tip to the
Barns 300gr Hollow MZbullet for deer.
He wasn't getting much of a exit hole,and has been having to trail the
deer looking for just drops of blood.
The deer that he shot were all lung shots.

lemoyne 01-03-2007 08:26 AM

RE: Barns Bullets

They are good but way over priced,try a Speer Gold dot if you think you need something better than an XTP. Lee

sabotloader 01-03-2007 09:14 AM

roger1shot

I think Lee said it about as best you can in my mind....

I shoot Nosler partitions and I am really struggling with the price of those bullets - done a lot of testing with the Gold Dot and I am thinking that will be my bullet in the near future...

nchawkeye 01-03-2007 09:24 AM

I used the Barnes 300gr for several years in my Knight Disc...Killed 7-8 deer with...Excellent bullet, good exit hole, very accurate and complete pass throughs...

Roskoe 01-03-2007 10:44 AM

Most lethal MZ bullet on the planet. But certainly overpriced.

Crimson1 01-03-2007 03:11 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: roger1shot

HI,
What do ya'll think about the Barn's Copper Bullets?
Brother is changeing from T/C 300gr polymer tip to the
Barns 300gr Hollow MZbullet for deer.
He wasn't getting much of a exit hole,and has been having to trail the
deer looking for just drops of blood.
The deer that he shot were all lung shots.

The Barnes MZ's are just plain nasty wicked on deer, most devastating bullet I've used yet. I dont think they are that expensive myself, to me it makes no since what so ever to skimp on the one thing that is going to be doing all the dirty work for ya when the trigger is pulled. I dont freeze my butt off all day only to have sub-par results when it timetoarvest an animal. Now if I was just punching paper I could see the argument, but for actually hunting, NO way. I've dropped a buck and doe both in their tracks, with lung and heart shots. No heavy bone contact, just through the rib cage area. I too swithed from the 250 TC's to the 250 MZ'z, there is no comparison between those 2 bullets on game animals.

cayugad 01-03-2007 03:16 PM

Like the others have said.. they are great bullets, but when I have to part with a $1.00 a shot it just makes me mad. I look at that bullet and realize a day at the range could cost me some big dollars. I'd rather shoot something more wallet friendly and concentrate on shot placement.