HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   powder or pellets (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/173174-powder-pellets.html)

deerhunter1224 01-02-2007 06:33 PM

powder or pellets

I bought a new muzzleloader I used to use powder in my old gun. What should I use pellets or powder. Is one better then the other?

cayugad 01-02-2007 06:35 PM

RE: powder or pellets

Since you did not mention the make of the rifle, I will guess it to be an inline rifle. The choice is up to you as long as the rifle has a 209 ignition. If you shoot a lot, loose powder is the way to go. If you're one of them that want a couple more days to hunt, then pellets will do you fine. Unless your loaded with money and just want to shoot pellets ... of course.

gleason.chapman 01-02-2007 06:41 PM

ORIGINAL: deerhunter1224

I bought a new muzzleloader I used to use powder in my old gun. What should I use pellets or powder. Is one better then the other?
Since you say you have used powder, just stay with it. Powder is cheaper, faster ignition and allows you to vary your charge for what works best in your gun. Good luck with your new gun, they are fun to get working and shooting right.
Chap Gleason Va

EncoreJoe 01-02-2007 07:04 PM

Is the powder cleaner?

lemoyne 01-02-2007 08:11 PM

No, it is not cleaner or dirtyer I use both and it boils down to the fact that the only real meaningful differance is the price except that some deer season onlymuzzle loader hunters find it more conveniant because it takes less equipment to use pellets. Lee

outdoorslover 01-02-2007 08:59 PM

If you want faster loading go with the pellets. I see no reason to however. The loose is more versatile and cheaper. That's whyI don't use pellets.

frontier gander 01-02-2007 09:23 PM

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

If you want faster loading go with the pellets. I see no reason to however. The loose is more versatile and cheaper. That's whyI don't use pellets.
I dont think pellets are faster for reloading. Most of us using an inline when hunting, load up speedloaders so it doesnt really matter if its pellets or loose in the speedloader, still gotta uncap both ends and put the powder in. I know i will always use speedloaders with both my inline and my flintlock, cuts down on weight and items that you'd normally have to carry. Reason why i dont use pellets is, not legal in my state,to expensive, less shots, cant fine tune your load, did i mention to expensive? lol.

lemoyne 01-03-2007 08:29 AM

frontier gander, is correct, that is the way it is. Lee

alleyyooper 01-03-2007 09:55 AM

With the T/C speed loader with the bullet stuck in that starter, end you only have to pop one cap open to load loose. You don't have to look to make sure that you have put the right side down like with some pellets.

:) Al