HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Thompson Omega vs Encore Dilemma (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/173066-thompson-omega-vs-encore-dilemma.html)

Primitive Weapon 01-02-2007 08:11 AM

Thompson Omega vs Encore Dilemma

As you may know, I just bought a all camo Omega and put a camo Nikon scope on it. Still have yet to shoot it.

I bought it over the Encore because of $$, or lack of. However, I just found out that I won my fantasy football league and pocketed $500.

Now, I am considering selling the Omege and buying a Pro Hunter. Am I crazy???????

Kirch 01-02-2007 09:02 AM

RE: Thompson Omega vs Encore Dilemma

what did you pay for your omega? I paid $375 for my stainless laminated one when they first came out (they list for $529 in cableas)and just paid $750 for my prohunter. Is the prohunter twice the gun due to it being twice as expensive? I don't think so. I only bought the Prohunter because I loved the look of it and I love guns. Plus, it's nice to be able to swap barrels. If your budget doesn't permit you pissing away $$$ on guns, stick with the omega as it's a great bang for the buck. As far as muzzle loading goes i think the omega is jusr as good as the prohunter/encore. One thing I noticed was the trigger on my omega was MUCH NICER that my prohunter. I've already sent the prohunter out for a trigger job. good luck!

lemoyne 01-02-2007 09:23 AM

As a rule they don't shoot any better,the recoil is somewhat reduced if you dont already have plans for some other barrels then you should question why you want it.Lee

Primitive Weapon 01-02-2007 09:28 AM

For the most part I don't "need" the Pro Hunter. It's more of a want. If I had it, I would eventually get a shotgun barrel and maybe a small caliber rifle barrel for plinking around.

sabotloader 01-02-2007 10:26 AM

Primitive Weapon

I have an Omega and really like it. It certainly does the job for me... AlthoughI would suspect that with the pro-hunter besides getting the stronger more vesitile frame you might be even getting a better barrel in the sense of a better bore. As the company produces barrels in mass production there is certainly barrels produced that have a slightly higher quality than others - these barrels undoubtably go into the guns offered in the up scale price range... just a thought no actually proof - but it does make sense - I know Browning and Weatherby offer ugraded guns with the better barrels...

Underclocked 01-02-2007 10:58 AM

Stick the $500 in a savings account.There are rainy days ahead. :)

Roskoe 01-02-2007 11:22 AM

Amen. I have two Black Diamonds and an Omega. I have shot all three extensively and checked all three barrels with the Hawkeye bore scope. Don't think there is any significant difference in them, and also doubt if the Pro Hunter has any better barrel either. In fact, the 26" Black Diamond XR is the best shooter of the three.

The barrel swap concept on the Encore sounds pretty good, at least on paper - but that would be the only legitimate excuse to get one in my book. As a muzzleloader, I don't see any upgrade from the Omega.

G2 Shooter 01-02-2007 12:33 PM

Since you want to try different barrels, I would say sell it and buy the standard Encore. The Pro Hunter only offers a little more "bling" and the nifty hammer. I haven't heard any reports about the 90 degree breech yet. Get a Limbsavers recoil pad and your'e set. And you'll save several hundreds of dollars.
Barrels and accessories will interchange between the standard and Pro Hunter Encores. I have several barrels for my Encore and enjoy shooting it.

retrieverman 01-02-2007 01:49 PM

I don't know you and can't answer the crazy question, but if YOU WANT the Encore and have the money, then buy the dang thing. I have 4 Encores in various calibers and really like them all. I have personally had a hankering for an Omega myself, but I already have 2 Knights, an Encore, and a BP Xpress. I have absolutely no NEED for one, but I will still probably wind up with one before next October. As for the Encore, I would look at the "standard" model over the Pro Hunter. There is too much "fluff" for the money in my opinion, but I will let a crazy man spend his money anyway he wants.

bowhunterjohn 01-02-2007 02:20 PM

Honestly, what is the difference in most newer M/L's ?? I have a 100 dollar CVA 50 cal. It will shoot a sub 2" group (best is 5/8") three shot group all day at 100 yards. Shoots a 4" group at 150. Whats the difference except the barrel length? I mean my brother in law brags about his Encore , but I shoot a better group?

I'd like to really know what the real difference is, as I am thinking about purchasing the CVA Pro Optima with the 29" barrel.