Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Thompson Omega vs Encore Dilemma >

Thompson Omega vs Encore Dilemma

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Thompson Omega vs Encore Dilemma

Old 01-02-2007, 03:39 PM

Default RE: Thompson Omega vs Encore Dilemma

The pro hunter is WAY over priced in my book. I just ordered a totally custom encore for around 950 bucks from Bullberry, custom barrel,custom stock made to fit me, trigger pull set at my desired weight, and custom scope mounts. The only thing original is the frame, I get all that for $150 more than the pro hunter.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

You soon will be able to buy the pro hunterstyle hammers in a conversion for the encores too!

If you take any mechanical device apart quality is always evident, it just all depends on the style, design andmaterials which leads up to reliability. Certain designs are just less expensive to make like the NEF huntsman design. Rock solid and cost less to make.
Me personally the falling breech block is a very old beautiful design that was rethought into a fantastic design copied by many into their own style/look! If you already own a high powered rifle I keep the Omega but if you only want one single shot rifle then the prohunter/Omega is nice.

BTY, my SS Thunderhawk shoots just as good as my Omega's but it is lighter nicer SYN stock and a 2" shorter barrel. You can only find weaver bases in aluminum too! The only reason I moved up was the cleaning aspect and great looking design. They still take a long time to clean in MHO.
It is a big delima!
LOL, SHills

Old 01-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

Keep the Omega. Save the $500 and if you are married DO NOT LET YOUR WIFE KNOW YOU HAVE IT!!! Save a little here and there and buy the Encore when you have the money to go get it. Then you will have both. Wait till the gun safes and some of the CVA guns go on sale at Walmart after next season and buy those. Then you will have a whole arsenal of guns to shoot. Did I just give away my plan?? Hope my wife doesn't come on here....LOL!!!!
Old 01-04-2007, 10:04 AM

I had a Omega,and sold it to a friend. It is a good shooter,but the new Prohunter shoots soooooo much smoother there's no contest as to which one you can shoot magnum loads in all day long. I have a friend that got the first one in this area,and after talking to him about the recoil, or lack of it,I knew that would be my next ML. I spend allot of time shooting at long range,150-250yds. It sure makes the range sessions more comfortable. I now also buy powder like it's going out of style. It dosen't take long to go through a pound of powder,loading 120grs.a popMy wife has shot mine,and now want's one also. With a load of 100grs. powder there is almost no recoil period. They are sweet shooters,but pricey!
Old 01-04-2007, 04:27 PM

You can not go wrong.
Both are great guns !
Old 01-04-2007, 04:57 PM

i bought the 50 cal encore and a 270 barrel used it all one season. for me it was the worst gun i ever bought. i thought i liked it at the store but after the hunting was over i sold it. i got a omega and really like it.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: little-d

i bought the 50 cal encore and a 270 barrel used it all one season. for me it was the worst gun i ever bought. i thought i liked it at the store but after the hunting was over i sold it. i got a omega and really like it.
This is why I love forums.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

Keep the Omega and buy a standard Encore. The prohunter is overpriced and over rated in my book. They build it for less with the plastic parts and all and sell it for more than the Encore with great wood stocks. I like the PH's quick breech plug and that's about it. I don't care for the swivel hammer just something to go wrong at the wrong time.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

Little D. What was it that you disliked so much with the gun?
Old 01-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Fork Horn

I must say I like the new ProHunter stock and forend. I don't know personally how it handles the recoil, but I like the new forends, they provide a better grip when wearing gloves. Are the ProHunters overpriced? Sure. $800 or $900 for a muzzleloader is ridiculous, but they are selling like crazy right now. I've read T/C is offering a swing hammer upgrade for regular Encoresfor $70 or so but it must be sent in to T/C. I don't know about the swing hammer yet. You can save some money and just buy a hammer spur for like $10-$20 for regular Encores.
My buddy just bought a S/S Laminate Omega, they are sweet looking guns. Only knock on the Omega is you can't adjust the triggers, but I have read they aren't too bad to begin with. If you think you want to use another barrel, get a regular Encore or a ProHunter. If you have plenty of other rifles, stick with the Omega.
You could just buy the ProHunter and then you wouldn't have all the stress about what to do!