Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Knight primer jackets >

Knight primer jackets

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight primer jackets

Old 12-30-2006, 09:23 PM

Default Knight primer jackets

I bought my first muzzleloader (50 cal. Knight Disc Elite) over a year ago and shot it for the first time this past week. My sons and I only had enough time to shoot it 20 times, but we thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks to everyone here for the knowledge and advice shared in thisforum. I would not have known where to start otherwise.

Loading the 209 primers into the red plastic jackets proved to be a real pain. Is there a tool or trick to make this easier?

Thanks.

Old 12-30-2006, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Knight primer jackets

Knight has a tool or you can use a pair of pliers. Chap Gleason Va
Old 12-30-2006, 11:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Glad to hear your rifle shoots so well. Like Chap said, Knight does make a tool for that. My Disc uses the orange disc. I put them in with plyers and take them out with a home made punch set.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:59 AM

Place the primers on a flat surface with the firing end up. Then using a pair of plyers push the jacket onto the primer. Doing this you can prime a hundred up in no time. The Knight tool is pretty cheap and flimsy. Most of the people I know who have bought them have broken them in the first use.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:29 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Wolfhound76

Place the primers on a flat surface with the firing end up. Then using a pair of plyers push the jacket onto the primer. Doing this you can prime a hundred up in no time. The Knight tool is pretty cheap and flimsy. Most of the people I know who have bought them have broken them in the first use.
That's good to know that the tool is junk because I thought of buying one. You saved me some money... If I knew what one lookedlike, I have a friend who has to be the world's greatest tinker. He can build about anything you need. The funny thing he can not hardly read, but if you show him a picture its as good as done. I'd have him make me one off an old pair of plyers or something.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:40 AM

ORIGINAL: cayugad

That's good to know that the tool is junk because I thought of buying one. You saved me some money... If I knew what one lookedlike, I have a friend who has to be the world's greatest tinker. He can build about anything you need. The funny thing he can not hardly read, but if you show him a picture its as good as done. I'd have him make me one off an old pair of plyers or something.
It's one of the few things Knight sells that doesn't have the quality people expect. http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00061900103
Old 12-31-2006, 03:56 PM

Thanks for the info, guys. Happy New Year to all of you.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

The tool is way too flimsy, being made of plastic. It's only advantage is it holds the primer, once you get it in there. But it still needs a little engineering in order to get it to line and start easily into the disc.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:44 PM

Have you tried using a chunk from a larger wood dowel and drilling a hole as close to the size of the red disc into the dowel. I was thinking that then the primer would possibly seat by pressing down on a flat surface. I have one of those primer tools coming in one of those Knight Holiday package kits. I looked one over the other day and it really does look flimsy.
I think that I am going to try some experimenting with some ideas. I will have two of those Knights that use the red discs, I guess that I will need to figure something out.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Fork Horn

There probably is a better idea floating around. I may have to dig out the old Lee priming tool that used a tray and see if it shows me anything.