HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   trigger adjustments (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/172617-trigger-adjustments.html)

Dan_15801 12-30-2006 12:32 PM

trigger adjustments

can trigger adjustments be made on flintlocks?? i got a tradition flintlock and the trigger is quite stiff.. i pull to the right about4 inches and my group are within 2 inches of each other.. my elevation is right on.. i tried to move the sights but when i do i shoot way left about 8 inches.. this is at 75 yrds..even with the slightest movement of the sights.. i know i can put the shots within 2 inches of each other in the X mark area if i can lighten the pull up..

frontier gander 12-30-2006 12:43 PM

RE: trigger adjustments

if its a traditions/cva it should be adjustable. take the lock off and on the tumbler there will/should be a little screw with a spring around it. Turn it in little at a time and reinstall your lock. make sure its not screwed in to much or the slightest pressure on the trigger will send it into the half cock position.

Dan_15801 12-30-2006 12:49 PM

can this be performed by me?? a novice to flintlock rifles.. or should i have a gunsmith do this?? i can adjust my accu triggers on my savages,,but this is all new to me..

frontier gander 12-30-2006 12:54 PM

yes u can do this yourself. Just take the 2 screws holding in the lock, pull the sidelock out and look for the little screw that has a spring under it, turn it in a little and reinstall the lock and see if the trigger is to your liking.

Dan_15801 12-30-2006 01:18 PM

that was easy.. thank you.. i turned the screw to much the first time and it wouldn't lock as you said.. it kept going only to the safety position.. readjusted again.. and have about a light pull now.. very sweet.. i also cocked it in the fire position and bounced it off the floor a few times and hit the sides with the side of my fist to make sure it wouldn't go off accidently.. thank you again..

frontier gander 12-30-2006 01:24 PM

you're welcome. When u start shooting it and if u have a problem with the trigger getting harder, pull that screw out and wrap a tiny piece of teflon tape around the screw and put it back in. I had a problem where mine would back out after 12 or so shots.

Dan_15801 12-30-2006 01:36 PM

i think that is what happened.. cause it did feel like it got tighter from when i first bought and used it.. but will do if it stiffens up.. one more thing while i am thinking about it.. my flint,, white english 5/8 with leather.. it gets stuck under thefrizzen and real hard to cock the hammer back to safe position.. the stone is seated as far back in the leather as it will go..i didn't see a way to adjust thefrizzen spring.. any suggestions for this??

frontier gander 12-30-2006 03:39 PM

yeah thats a simple fix. take a round ball and flatten it out with a hammer, bend it around your flint, set it in the jaws and use a sharpe knife to cut the remaining lead off. I HATE leather, i tried going back to it but again, my flints kept coming loose after a few shots, they'd break off at the corners. The lead helped me out big time. If your flint still gets stuck under the frizzen a little, you need to knap the flint down a little. You can use the back of a sturdy pocket knife blade or of course a brass knapping hammer. Just take small even strikes across the front of the flint and try to get it even. Doesnt have to be perfect but it helps. You'll also notice more sparks with the flint wrapped in lead. I did in mine atleast. i think traditions take the 5/8"x3/4" flints. Im going to some white color flint i found, just have to take it to the grinder and make a flat holding area. Sparks like crazy with that stuff! If you need anymore help or need some pics to help you see what im talking about, just let me know.
Jon