Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 muzzle loader for squirrels >

muzzle loader for squirrels

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

muzzle loader for squirrels

Old 12-28-2006, 09:29 PM

Default muzzle loader for squirrels

i read a article in a mag. where a guy was hunting squirrels with a .32 or .36 caliber muzzle loader and it sounded like a blast. i would love to pick up a flint lock in one of those calibers and try hunting small game...but i cant find anyone who acutally makes these calibers

so dose anyone know how to get there hands on one of these?
Old 12-28-2006, 09:30 PM

Default RE: muzzle loader for squirrels

oh and i forgot...how much do you think it will cost and where do you buy bullets for it at?
Old 12-28-2006, 11:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Traditions makes the Crockett Rifle which is a .32 caliber traditional style rifle. Some one told me once you can shoot OO buck shot out of it instead of roundball but I could not and would not swear to that. The other option is a Renegade or T/C Hawkins and then a Green Mountain Barrel that drops in there. You can get them in .32 & .40 caliber all used for small game.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

http://thunder-ridge-muzzleloading.com/hopkins&allen.htm
I have found a 36 caliber Underhammer by Hopkins and Allen to be an excellant small game rifle,actually they have the best ignition of any tradition muzzle loader. Lee
Old 12-29-2006, 09:41 AM
Dominant Buck

I have been shooting them this year with my .62 caliber smoothbore. Loaded with shot of course. I have been working up a load and pattern for next turkey season, and them little red pine squirrels are perfect target practice.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dave get a bunch of those red squirrels fer me. I hope to make them seldom see in this neck of the woods.

Did you see this at the Hopkins & Allen site?

HOPKINS & ALLEN

[:@]NO LONGER AVAILABLE[:@]

The underhammer guns are available in .36, .45, or .50 caliber with a 1 in 66" twist. German silver front blade sight and an adjustable rear. Two piece maple stock. The Buggy Rifle has a 26" barrel and the Heritage Rifle has a 32" barrel in the white.

Al
Old 12-29-2006, 01:00 PM
Dominant Buck

I have looked at the under hammer rifles for a long time. I have heard good and bad about them. Actually they make a .62 caliber underhammer that is supposed to be real accurate. I just never took the plunge yet with one.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did some business with a guy 20+ yrs ago who owned a Auto Body Shop.On the side he made custom flint and side locks in all calibers.I'm talkin from muzzle to butt - works of art - make you slobber just to handle one! They went from about $500 - $1500+.
A true craftsman.He was a WWI vet,expert marksman,and firearms instructor etc...A master in firearms in general.He got me started in smoke poles and was my "go to guy" back then.

Anyway - he belonged to a smoke pole club.Every year these guys would go squirrel hunting with .32 or .45 cal as I recall(patch and ball).There was a $Pot$ for the guy who brought back the most "head shot" squirrels.

That's some serious shootin with any weapon!
Old 12-29-2006, 02:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry about that I had not realized they took them off the market.
It really is a shame with a few simple modifications they are as easy to clean as an inline and the accuracy you can get out of them is amazing. Lee
Old 12-29-2006, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

I bought a cva 36cal from the possibleshop 175.00 The problem is I have to go back to work to afford the new toys i bought sisnce I retired.