Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

old way's gone ?

Old 11-26-2002, 04:06 AM

Default old way's gone ?

Any more all you hear is about inline's, knight's etc the old way's are getting to modern in gun design's to me the true muzzle loader's are the flint lock's no scope's or fancy gadget's just iron site's and a good gun dont get me wrong I'm not taking nothing away from the knight's or other similar blackpowder gun user's but is there any one out there that still use's the old flint lock's.I still do
I use a 50 cal hawkin's belonged to my great granddad beautiful gun and still can drive tack's with it.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: old way's gone ?

The old guns are still there. Actually, the inlines have led some shooters to more of a challenge. They try the longrifles.

Old 11-26-2002, 10:52 AM

PualBear,
I received an Traditions in-line muzzleloader for Christmas from my wife about four years ago. It's a beautiful gun with a grey laminate stock and nickel plating and I am finally going to try & hunt with it this coming weekend (MN muzzleloader season). However, I'm kind of a history buff and have been yearning for more a traditional muzzleloader. I would love to get one, wear the buckskins and go hunting. We are not allowed to scope our muzzloaders here in MN so they are not totally modern. I can't wait to take my first muzzleloader deer! Are the Lyman Great Plains Rifles any good? I was thinking of purchasing one. Good hunting, Craig.
Old 11-27-2002, 03:31 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-27-2002, 10:22 AM

Here in PA after X-mas, we have a flintlock only season.
A .50 cal Thompson Renegade is about all i need.
I scoped inline would be nice, but the challenge factor is somewhat lost when you go to that. I'm not saying that it isn't challenging, but going out with iron sights, a powder horn and some flint makes it a little tougher.
I personally enjoy using the renegade, it seems like just for part of the season we are thrown back to a time when hunting was a way of survival, and not so much a sport.

Jennings Buckmaster Bow
.50 Cal Thompson Center Renegade
Old 11-27-2002, 01:15 PM
Dominant Buck

The old ways are still alive and well. In my group, only one uses an in line. Although I will admit, we do not use flinters, but we do use percussion cap sidelocks. To be honest, I find a round ball, and 80 grains of powder in my .50 Caliber all I need to take a whitetail deer. I have looked at in lines more time then I can count, but when the urge comes to get one, I take my sidelock out, and spend a day in the yard shooting targets, and all seems right with the world again. Take care, be safe, and shoot well (no matter which one you like)
Old 11-29-2002, 08:48 PM
Spike

Terminal,,, The Lyman Great Plains Rifle is an excellant bp rifle ,more realistic copy of a hawkin than a TC hawkin.Although the TC hawkin is a good gun too. I have both, the GPR has a slower twist barrel for round ball accuracy, than the TC, but the TC doesn't shoot to bad either. Good to see someone thinking about traditional.
Old 11-29-2002, 08:48 PM
Spike

Terminal,,, The Lyman Great Plains Rifle is an excellant bp rifle ,more realistic copy of a hawkin than a TC hawkin.Although the TC hawkin is a good gun too. I have both, the GPR has a slower twist barrel for round ball accuracy, than the TC, but the TC doesn't shoot to bad either. Good to see someone thinking about traditional.
Old 11-29-2002, 08:49 PM
Spike

Old 11-29-2002, 08:50 PM
Spike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.