HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Shooting sticks for ML hunt .... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/171515-shooting-sticks-ml-hunt.html)

cracka 12-22-2006 06:54 PM

Shooting sticks for ML hunt ....

I'm looking to buy a set of shooting sticks for my up coming muzzleloader hunt.I'm looking to take 100-150 yd shots with my ML. I've found several different types of shooting sticks, but I want your opinions on which to get and why.

I'm looking for a compact, practical, and easy to use in a moments notice without creating a huge disturbance set of sticks... I may end up making a simple pair if I feel up to it. This wayI can make exactly what I want.

I found some online called "slingstix" but they seemed like they would open too fast or loud in a moments notice (They actually fold down out of a sling). Since I may be wearing a light backpack I was think of using 25-33" sticks and placing them in my back pack so I can reach back and pull it out ... kinda like a sword, rather than use a retracting kind that folds up to 12-14 inches. I have never used sticks before so let me know what you guys recommend.Thanks ...

cayugad 12-22-2006 07:01 PM

RE: Shooting sticks for ML hunt ....

http://www.stoneypoint.com/about_sp_testimonials.html

Stoney Point Shooting Sticks might be what you're looking for. There is the site to them.

sabotloader 12-22-2006 07:45 PM

cracka

I carry sticks with me, I have for 3 or 4 years now - just seems I never get around to using them, except when I squirrel hunting - but I keep on carring them I might need - I might use them...

alleyyooper 12-23-2006 01:20 PM

I made mine own. Got to use the stupid golf clubs my son drug home from some place. Cut them off, drilled a hole in the shafts just below the grips then installed a bolt with a wing nut. The tightness of the wing nut keeps the spread easy to manage. Also the grips don't cause any damage to the rifle stock.
Second set were the first ones I made. I ripped some cedar in 3/4" strips on my table saw then drilled the hole for the bolt and wing nut. I lined the Y where the stock sets with that tape they used between your pickup bed rail and the cap. I have the stuff to modify this set into a tri pod but havn't got to it yet.

:) Al

mayguy 12-23-2006 01:27 PM

I am the same as sabotloader, I always carry mine but have yet to use it on anything except squirrels. You might want to consider a mono stick, that is what I use. You can use them for a walking stick also. It is easy to extend, just a simple twist to adjust (no noise). I think mine is a Stoney Point.

cayugad 12-23-2006 01:36 PM

I made my own also, and use them almost all the time. Any time I am on stand, I have my sticks up and working. I also use them for binocular work. For some reason with my large glasses, I do not hold them steady enough, so I just use the stick monopod and they hold the glasses nice and still for me to focus on things..

fishforfun 12-23-2006 03:45 PM

I don t leave home with out mine. It is a mono stick my shooting has improved alot from using one.Plus it is nice to use as a walking stick too.

Tracker12 12-23-2006 04:10 PM

I startd using shooting sticks when I lived in CA and did a lot of coyote hunting.. They were great and now if I am hunting off the ground I always carry them. Have used them on many deer kills. I have a set that a Government hunter in CO makes. But I have used and highly recommend the Stoney. Once you get used to them you will feel naked without them.

alleyyooper 12-25-2006 02:19 PM

I use mine in my Amerastep deer blind. They have no shooting rails/rest so I find the shooting sticks a great additon. I even use them to rest my rifle on like a third leg while waiting for the right deer to appear.

:)Al

cayugad 12-25-2006 02:25 PM

alleyyooper this year I used my new Outhouse blind which I think is kind of what you're referring to as your blind. I also found the use of my shooting sticks very helpful this year for the same reason. Also I can use the sticks to level and hold my binoculars..