HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   250 shockwaves (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/171441-250-shockwaves.html)

fishforfun 12-22-2006 10:05 AM

250 shockwaves

Hello well I finally became a member to this site.I have been visiting it for a long time for info.So here is my question for anyone.I just started using 250 gr. shockwaves with 130 gr. pyro. pellets.They shoot very good out of my 50 cal. knight Disc.How good are they on whitetails and do they leave good blood trails. As i shoot always for the heart ,lungs.......I used T/C 250 gr. PTX s always before these and killed alot of deer with them...but they don t make them anymore..

alsaqr 12-22-2006 10:17 AM

RE: 250 shockwaves

Glad that you had good luck with the PTX bullets. My luck was not so good. Shot an elk at about 90 yards with a 250 grain PTX driven by three 50 grain Pyrodex pellets. The bullet did not expand, just went through the lungs and the blood trail petered out. Five of us looked for her for seven hours. Another hunter found her the next morning.It was very cold and the meat was still good so he took her out.

cayugad 12-22-2006 10:31 AM

ORIGINAL: fishforfun

Hello well I finally became a member to this site.I have been visiting it for a long time for info.So here is my question for anyone.I just started using 250 gr. shockwaves with 130 gr. pyro. pellets.They shoot very good out of my 50 cal. knight Disc.How good are they on whitetails and do they leave good blood trails. As i shoot always for the heart ,lungs.......I used T/C 250 gr. PTX s always before these and killed alot of deer with them...but they don t make them anymore..
First off, welcome to the forum. It's nice to have you here.

From all I have read, since I have no practical experience with the Shockwaves... I would rate them as an excellent hunting bullet. I do understand that people have claimed perfect lung shots and no blood trail with them. I personally can not explain the reason for that. Ballistics and bullet performanceis not my thing.

Then, I have a close friend who sent me a photo of a deer he shot (to rub it in)with a 250 grain Shockwave. Due to the position of the camera not only could I look at his excellent buck, his rather grubby face, but looking in the snow behind him, I could have tracked that deer with a phote to where he shot. The blood trail was tremendous. He claimed he did a simple double lung at 60 yards, and the deer ran 35 yards, bleeding like a stuck pig (as my father used to say) and dropped.

Too many posts have told of the harvesting of deer with a Shockwave not to respect them. I personally feel if your rifle shoots them well, and you can put that bullet in the right place, there is no reason a Shockwave will not work.

statjunk 12-22-2006 11:06 AM

I've shot two deer with 250gr shockwaves. I believe you could probably select a better bullet. The entry wound and the exit wound were very similar in size on both deer. So I would say very limited expansion. However I recovered both deer. The one that ran went about 25 yards. The other I shot through the spine right below the head and just fell over like a card stood on edge.

I'm going hunting with 250gr Shockwaves tomorrow and I'll report back to this thread if I get one.

Tom

sierra6 12-22-2006 11:29 AM

I'm 2 for 2 shooting Shockwaves out of my Omega. I took two deer with two shots and got excellent terminal performance in both cases this year. They are going to be tough to beat in my Omega as they choot extremely tight groups at 100yds. If they are accurate in your gun then I'd say give them a try.

s6

Roskoe 12-22-2006 02:59 PM

I have shot two cow elk with the 250 Shockwave, and a large bull with the 300 gr. Shockwave. In all three instances, the bullets displayed a good balance of penetration and expansion. They are also quite accurate and fly well for long distance shooting.

Primitive Weapon 12-22-2006 07:55 PM

ORIGINAL: cayugad
I personally feel if your rifle shoots them well, and you can put that bullet in the right place, there is no reason a Shockwave will not work.
I think cayugad hit the nail on the head. Well said!

fishforfun 12-23-2006 08:55 AM

I ty for all the responses back.Hopefully i will get to see how they work next week during ohios muzzy season.

Mike Hill 12-23-2006 09:04 AM

I haveheard nothing but good reports on the 259 shock waves. BUT!!!
I have shot 2 deer with them this year one right through the heart who wnt about 50 yards and never found a spot of blood. It's too band as I love there accurecy and the way they load (after 200 shot break in). I'm not in a position to judge yet but I am going to keep using then for a couple more deer and see if it improves.

SHills 12-23-2006 06:04 PM

FFF,
I have killed some nice deer w/ the SST ML Hornady 67272's which is the same as the 250 Shockwave w/ my Omega and Thunderhawk. Unfornatually I have yet to recover a bullet as they were all pass thoughs. Plenty of blood on the first kill after 15 yrds. The other two dropped in its tracks.
I do think the best bullet I have used so far was the XTP 240 gr. Longest shot was 130 yrds. Fantastic expansion even though it was a double lung. A colored blindperson could have tracked it..
I have never had problems w/ small exit wounds if it was a double lung much less a quartering shot on one lung...
I would like to try the barnes bullets and have seen the devistation from guys using the Sav 10 ML's.
Hills