Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 What ML for Roundball >

What ML for Roundball

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What ML for Roundball

Old 12-21-2006, 08:43 PM

Default What ML for Roundball

What would you suggest for a roundball only ML. Thanks....
Old 12-21-2006, 09:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What ML for Roundball

ORIGINAL: slugman

What would you suggest for a roundball only ML. Thanks....
Since you want to shoot roundball you need a slow twist. 1-60 or slower. So because of this I would suggest a Lyman Great Plains Rifle in .54 caliber. The .54 caliber is about one of the perfect hunting calibers. It is also extremely accurate.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

I'm sure there are several roundball shooters out there that will put a smile on your face. I've owned the Renegade, cva hawkins, andthe one I'm shooting now is the Lyman GPR in 54 cal. IfI had to choose just one it would be the Lyman. I agree with cayugad that the 54 cal is the way to go. The only problem with the 54 is you have to look a little harder for the roundballs etc. at least in my area.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:17 AM

It would only be for whitetail size game , so I'll think the .50 will be enough. I picked up a lymans when I was in Hamburg and it didnt feel too bad. I'll take another look
Old 12-22-2006, 07:25 AM

If your a dedicaled roundball shooter look for that slow twist Cayugad mentioned. 1 in 60, 1 in 66 something like that. The GPR is a great gun but heavy.

If you opt for a 1 in 48 twist working up an accuate load is a bit more touchy. I have a TC renagade in 54 and It took a little work to get it to shoot the round ball well. If you do do a 1 in 48 you can also shoot maxies and a 54 with a heavy powder charge anda heavy maxi is big medicine.

To make my renagade shoot well with roundballs I had to stay at 80 or 90g equivelients of pyrodex and a very tight patch fit.

Roundball don't have high balistic coef. so they loose speed rapidly and they don't have great sectional densities so they don't penetrate like so more modern projectiles. (they do mushroom nice tho). 54 cal would be my choice, 50 would do in a pinch but IMHO 45 cal is a real experts caliber on a deer.

Some how when I switched to a scoped inline I lost a little something.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:42 AM

IMHO 45 cal is a real experts caliber on a deer.
I shoot a .45 knight elite at the moment. Havent made my way to roundballs yet but looking to. The lymans was heavy but bearable.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:46 AM

ORIGINAL: slugman

IMHO 45 cal is a real experts caliber on a deer.
I shoot a .45 knight elite at the moment. Havent made my way to roundballs yet but looking to. The lymans was heavy but bearable.
Sorry I was refering to a 45 roundball. a 45 inline is a different animal competely.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:47 AM

Havent seen a .45 roundball , only .54 & .50 and of course the ole .75
Old 12-22-2006, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

The twist is important for hunting or long range target. For hunting on deer or larger and for extreme PRB range my choice after using all the calibers up to 72 would be the 54 I would get a twist of 1-66 to 1-80. There are several reasons for this,first it has to be available in a decant barrel length and twist for the caliber,then the recoil with a load [ 5/8 0f the ball weight will burn efficantly] has to be reasonableand for range you need the best sectional density and BC you can get. I was taking deer and bear at over 150 yds before we ever heard of sabots. The best choice I know of with out building your own or getting one custom built is the TC Hawken with a 32 inch 54 cal barrel from Foxridge,I dont know of any othe brand that makes one like this. if you get it custom made you want a 35 or 36 inch barrel. Lee
Old 12-22-2006, 08:41 AM

thanks for the info

Quick Reply: What ML for Roundball

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.