Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 After Season Project - Rebuild Renegade >

After Season Project - Rebuild Renegade

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

After Season Project - Rebuild Renegade

Old 12-21-2006, 06:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default After Season Project - Rebuild Renegade

Well sinceI can not hunt anymore this year, I need to keep my hands busy... Most of you know I have an old Renegade barrel that is really pitted badly but will shoot the lights out @ 100 yards. i have tried givng the barrel away to several people - even Cayugad so he could cut it up for his "speeriments" - he has such a soft spot for Renegades he would do it... So the next best thing get a stock for and put it back together and enjoy it...

I was able to get a stock from a fellow Ml'er that took pity on me and sent me a stripped stock - almost turned hime down because it would cost to much to get all the parts... he indicated it need to be sanded and cleaned up but I took it anyway it was free.... Well, I sanded it the other night in the shop and I was amazed at how good of peice of wood it was really nice grain dark American Walnut stock - must be an old one when TC was able to get really good wood.

I applied several coats of oil - used steel wool between coats and it is really starting to look good... Got part of put together tonight and could resist sharing a picture even though it is not complete... I think I have all the missing parts coming, except I have a brass trigger guard from a TC Hawken coming form e-bay - Right now I really wish it were a black Renegade guard but i might be able to come up with one later.... The brass wedge will go as soon as I find my black one I know I got one around here some place.... but for right now i think it looks pretty good...

I'll get nother pic when it is done - but I think it is really going to have character... A Renegade brought back from the brink...

Old 12-21-2006, 06:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: After Season Project - Rebuild Renegade

looks pretty good. I like that style rifle.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

Great job. The Renegade was the first muzzleloader I every owned.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:53 PM
Fork Horn

that is one nice looking muzzleloader.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wimuzzleman

I am sitting looking at, still waiting for some parts, thinking you know it really looks like, well good, I think I'll get a set of fiber optics for it and use it to hunt late ML season next year. I just have to get over my phobia about the pitted barrel and if I don't tell the deer he'll never know.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:04 AM
Dominant Buck

I've thought about putting a set of them fiber optics on one of my Renegades, but they are such good shooters with their iron sights, I hate to mess with a good thing. The first rifle I ever built was a .54 caliber Renegade which I still own. It has been shooting excellent for more years then I care to mention. I am going to have to get some sabots and projectiles and try sabots of of mine. Send me your load information some time and on my next order I will pick some of that up. I have eight .54 caliber traditional rifles. One of them will shoot the stuff or I will have a lot of fun blowing it down range into the woods.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

I can see it now. Sabotloader holding up a late season Muzzleloader buck and what is that next to him? His rebuilt Renegade.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

Only problem, SL - you've gone and almost finished that project already and it's still a long way to next year's season. You're gonna have to find something else to work on
Nice lookin' rifle, by the way!

Old 12-22-2006, 07:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

jaybe

you've gone and almost finished that project already and it's still a long way to next year's season.
Ya but! if'n I am gonna use it to hunt with - think about all the shooting I'll have to do with it between now and then to have it ready.... sighting in alone can be a real project... I'll have to sight it in as soon asI get it done then again in the summer and one more time in the late fall in cold weather to make sure it is right for hunting that late season ML hunt.

The best thing is Terry thinks I am being real practical rebuilding insted buying a new one - I am scoring Cabelas points with her... and you know how important that is...

Old 12-22-2006, 08:06 PM
Dominant Buck

The best thing is Terry thinks I am being real practical rebuilding insted buying a new one - I am scoring Cabelas points with her... and you know how important that is...
Well lets hope someone does not tell her that this is all an attempt to trick her into another rifle down the road..