HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Which muzzleloader for under $200 for a newb? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/171153-muzzleloader-under-200-newb.html)

TUK101 12-20-2006 04:14 PM

Which muzzleloader for under $200 for a newb?

I shot my dads Hawkins .50 today to see if it is something that I can handle. (I have had 2 shoulder surgeries and my neck is not doing well). Anyways, I liked it, it shot amazingly accurate and I really like the extended season these guys get. I live in Wash. St. and we can only used black powder rifles that load through the muzzle and have an exposed cap or flint. Should I just try and find one like my pops gun or is there a good starter package that I could find for under my $200 limit? Also, where would be a good place to shop for one? Wallmart quit carrying firearms here this year. (Gosh I am starting to hate this states laws and lawsuits).[>:]

Chantecler111 12-20-2006 04:16 PM

RE: Which muzzleloader for under $200 for a newb?

NEF Sidekick, $150.00, at Wal Mart.:D

frontier gander 12-20-2006 04:40 PM

nef wont work, he said it has to have an exposed cap or flint. with either means a rifle like the knigh wolverine i think or traditional percussion/flint. For a rifle $200 under it will be a traditions. Unless you want to spend $50 extra and get a nice rifle like this one on: http://www.possibleshop.com/cva-rifles.htm

CVA mountain rifle. Awesome looking stocks and accurate. Can shoot either roundball or conicals.

sabotloader 12-20-2006 04:48 PM

TUK101

There are severalplaces in Spokane you can get yourself a new ML. Better yet would be to go over to the Black Speep in Coeur D' Alene. I was just in there and they have areallygood selection...

The Washingtonrules say you need an exposed breech - thay are several inline ML's thatqualify for that also, it does not have to be a sidelock. Washington allows you to use sabots but you need to use an all lead bullet, and/or shoot lead power belts or conicals...

There are several $200 ML's out there - mostly by mail order - In my book the NEF would not be my first choice - but no matter you cannot use it anyway because you can not use 209 ignition you have to use caps....

Cayugad really like hisTC black diamond XR - I think his is an XR - the breech bolt area gets dirty but it is an accurate gun. There is also Knight Bighorn - they sell a lot of them over there. I gave my son-in-law a A&H that meets the qualifications.

Take a trip to White Elelephant or Sportsmans Warehouse and handle a few - see what one you like... Mail orders can be delivered right to your house if you find the right one.

Keep asking questions... will this be your first ML? Do you Archery Hunt?

mike

TUK101 12-20-2006 05:44 PM

I dont archery hunt, but I did pick up an 80# bow a couple weeks back. I am not sure if I cam physically going to be able to practice with it enough to get enough confidence to toss an arrow at a deer though. I think that I will just go into White Elephant and check out what they have and ask lots of questions. Those guys are pretty knowledgable and are usually pretty eager to help. I think that I will wait for a few weeks so since the last time I was in there (last wed.) they where so slammed that I couldnt hardly even get through an isle without knocking somebody else over lol. Thanks for the advice, I was hoping to find somebody local to help me out.

cayugad 12-20-2006 05:58 PM

exposed actions would include the Black Diamond XR by T/C, Wolverine or Bighorn by Knight, G-series Whitetail or Bison by White. Or you can look on an auction site for a used traditional rifle.

TUK101 12-20-2006 06:49 PM

I think that I may just go with a traditional like my dads Hawkins that came in a kit. Man are those guns simple, yet attractive and they shoot nice. The new ones are nice, but damn, it is pretty much like just using a shotgun slug isnt it? Some of these new so called muzzleloaders have the potential for being accurate to close to 200 yards if I am not mistaken. Anyways, I am not here to bash on the new age muzzleloaders and I appoligize for doing so. I would appreciate it though if maybe somebody could point me in the right direction to a few sites that sell the traditional ml's at an affordable price. Thanks for the help so far guys.

sabotloader 12-20-2006 07:00 PM

TUK101

Do not under estimate a Traditional ML... They are really good shooters.... If you decide to shoot traditionally with a patched round ball then your range will suffer, and you know how hard it is to get a deer with Washington rules... PRB might reduce your options - especially since you can not hunt during the rut and you have a point rule. I think if you decide to get a sidehammer you would be looking at shooting some form of conical, powerbelt or something. I use a traditional during our ML season over here but we as you can use sabots... That extends my range to 100+ yards, not that you can not do that with powerbelts or conicals. If you decide to go traditional you might also want to look at a 54 cal vs a 50 cal.

Have fun - you will love it when you get going....

Big Ol Gobbler 12-20-2006 07:02 PM

You can get a Traditions Deerhunter at www.midsouthshooterssupply.com for $159. If you can spend a little more, you can get a Lyman Deerstalker for $230 at www.dnrsports.com

TUK101 12-20-2006 07:08 PM

My dad just shot a doe yesterday at close to 150 yards with his traditional style muzzleloader. I just talked to my dad and he says his m/l is made in Italy but he couldnt remember the brand name. Sorry for my lack of knowledge here, but that is why I am asking all of these questions. Thanks for your help so far.