Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Shot the White Today with New Stock >

Shot the White Today with New Stock

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shot the White Today with New Stock

Old 12-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Shot the White Today with New Stock

Well, I finally could not stand it any longer - I had to go shoot the gun... It was colder than HE-double hockey sticks and the wind was blowing but I went... 10 degrees and 10/15 mph wind - I do not know what that does for thw wind chill, but I did not have enough clothes on and my trigger hand was freezing - but it was worth it - I needed to shoot....

The target is not as good as would have liked but it does shown me no ill effects from the stock switch (laminate to composit). But I do have a bunch of good excuses besides being cold as heck... Becuase of the price of bullets is climbing so bad - i decided I needed to shoot up those 5 boxes of 44 cal XTP's that I have and what better way than shooting paper. I was using the new MMP HPH-12 Green Sabot - but it truly was a slip fit - it slid down almost like putting one of grenades that Cascadedad shoots when I am over there. I had another excuse too, but I forgot what it was... membered I just switched scopes also - bore sighted at home. I was pleased that my 50 yard shots were so close.
Anyway - on a good day I'll cut that 100 yard group way down...

Here is the target - the "Autumn Aspen" colors really did not effect the shooting at all.

Actually I am pleased that those 44 bullet loose sabot combination worked this well...

Old 12-18-2006, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shot the White Today with New Stock

I used to live in Northern IL I remember that kind of cold. I have moved to AR the north centeral part where the world record walleyes come from but the deer here while there are a lot are only about 3/4 the size of IL or WI deer.
Well I added a few things to the process I got from you, I lapped the back end of the barrel with polishing compound and after I scrubed the barrel every way I could think of I warmed it to where it was to hot to handle bare handed then put the BB on it. I still get some of the infamous crud ring but it has been reduced to the point where it is practical to just wipe between shots and not have to scrub it, I think it may improve some more with long term use of BB. Lee
Old 12-18-2006, 07:38 PM
Dominant Buck

I would not be all upset with groups like that. I think it did real well considering the cold and that bright colored stock. Just the glare off that yellow part would have done me in. When you going to use that White and shoot some big bugger conicals?
Old 12-18-2006, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Absolutely awesome. The White really shoots sweet. Did I tell you I liked autumn aspen camo?
Old 12-18-2006, 08:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

lemoyne

I firmly believe it will get better as you do more applications... Today, especially with the 44's there was really no need to swab between shots...

With the patch i could feel a little bit of resistance at the bottom of the barrel but never enough to cause a problem...

I really hope the process works for you...

mike
Old 12-18-2006, 08:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

I plan to shoot the big bugger next hunting season - either an elk or a big buck...

sides those big conicals are to heavy to pack around all day....

Old 12-18-2006, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Whats BB?
Old 12-18-2006, 08:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Pglasgow

You don't want to know it will start a big discussion again... I use it in a special way - most people hate it, but TC has brought out a new product that even makes it easier to use, they now have a product called T17 patches....

bore butter
Old 12-18-2006, 08:34 PM

You need some rivers west clothing to keep you warm. Whats your sizes? if my friend has your size, i can hook you up witha great deal on pants/jackets. It was snowing hard here with maybe 15mph wind gusts and i was all decked out in mine, stacking firewood by the house and didnt feel cold or wind. We're getting low so you better get with the game! lol. Phil that goes for you too.

Sabot, if i remember right, you dont shoot with a scope do you? I love that stock on the white, i wish i could find the aspen breakup for my winchester. Great groups and enjoy the new stock! Dont hurt it either.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

Pglasgow

You don't want to know it will start a big discussion again... I use it in a special way - most people hate it, but TC has brought out a new product that even makes it easier to use, they now have a product called T17 patches....

bore butter
Shhhsshhh! Some one will hear you!

Now that you mention it. Once I get my inline situation completely lined out. I want to add a couple more traditionals. There's a .54 (or maybe .58, can't decide)full stock hawken kit in RB twist at TOW that I am dying to purchase, don't know when I can afford to, but oh its beautiful. I thought I would pre-season the bore before shooting it, (after browning). My idea was to get my a gallon of lard and heat in in my portable fish fryer out on the back porch. Push a patch to the bottom of the bore and brace the barrel muzzle side up in a jig of some sort to prevent it falling. Then I would ladle, (through a small metal funnel) 450 F lard into the bore. I'd just keep the lard hot. when the barrel begin to cool, use leather welding gloves to grip the barrel and dump contents back into the oiland then refill it. The Idea I have would be elevate the temperature of the barrel close to 450 F. every so often replacing the contents in order to keep the temp of the oil seasoning the bore, elevated. Might do this for a couple of hour hoping to get the lard deep in the pores of the metal.

Is this a crazy idea? Or might it work?

Quick Reply: Shot the White Today with New Stock

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.