HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Hang fire with new Triple 7 primers (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/170891-hang-fire-new-triple-7-primers.html)

Redtail565 12-18-2006 07:17 PM

Hang fire with new Triple 7 primers

I bought all new stuff this year. I got the triple 7 50/50 powder, 295 powerbelt bullets and the winchester triple7 209 primers for muzzleloaders. I was getting hang fires. About the first 6 shots before I switched to the 209 for shotshell hung. After I switched to the other primer I didn't have any more problems.

Anyone else have this problem?

cayugad 12-18-2006 07:18 PM

RE: Hang fire with new Triple 7 primers

interesting post.. what kind of rifle were you shooting the Winchester Triple S7sn primers out of?

sabotloader 12-18-2006 08:19 PM

Redtail565

Kinda interesting... the primers were going off OK - correct? but it took awhile to ignite the pellets - correct? If all of this is correct is there any possibilitiy that the breech plug flash channel was fowled? Do you swab between shots? What with? Do you use grease on the BP?

Just asking questions not condemming anything... but i would like to know why....

cayugad 12-18-2006 08:28 PM

If he was swabbing with a heavy liquid and not drying the barrel in the breech plug area, maybe with the reduced flash that these primers have, it was causing the hangfire. Then once he goes to a hotter primer, the extra flash counter acted all of that.. good point Sabot loader.

Chris W. 12-18-2006 10:15 PM

Interesting, I haven't had that problem with the 777 primers. They've worked like a charm for me so far.

chaz3815 12-19-2006 01:06 AM

Have used them and had no problems . Also use veriflame 209 adapters with not problems even at low temps .
Charlie

MOEncore 12-19-2006 06:18 AM

Also... I have NOT had any trouble with the Triple Se7en 209's. In fact they are by far the best Ive shot to date. No Crud ring now! yippie. I just counted... 78 shots taken with the new primers and not any hangfires or misfires.

Redtail565 12-19-2006 08:23 AM

Hey Guys,

I am using a CVA Wolf. The barrel was swabbed dry and I shot off 3 primers before loading. The breech plug was cleaned thoroughly.

The cap was definitely firing and a brief delay before the powder went off. Kind like them old days with percussion caps.

I shot 5-6 shots with the same results, so I don’t think it was from a “wet” barrel. I dry brush between shots, no cleaning solution or oil.

I can’t figure it out and most people I tell just raise and eyebrow like I’m on drugs or something.

It certainly should not be happening.

Tracker12 12-19-2006 05:06 PM

I had the same problem with the rem primers. Is ws not the primer. I was running a wet patch with #13 and was wetting it to much. Took out the breech plug and found damp powder residue inside. Full power 209was able to still ignite the powder.

sabotloader 12-19-2006 06:53 PM

Tracker12

I do not think that a lot of people realize there is an internal cavity in the more modern breech plugs - It sounds like you have found it....