Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Hang fire with new Triple 7 primers >

Hang fire with new Triple 7 primers

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hang fire with new Triple 7 primers

Old 12-19-2006, 07:04 PM
Spike

Default RE: Hang fire with new Triple 7 primers

My son had this same problem when he tried to site-in his Wolf he was using pellets ( T7 50 gr. ) that were leftover from last season. We switched over to new powder (T7 loose )and that cured that problem. We guess that the powder must have gone bad ,drew moisture or something.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Redtail565

I bought all new stuff this year. I got the triple 7 50/50 powder, 295 powerbelt bullets and the winchester triple7 209 primers for muzzleloaders. I was getting hang fires. About the first 6 shots before I switched to the 209 for shotshell hung. After I switched to the other primer I didn't have any more problems.

Anyone else have this problem?

I was shooting the exact same load through my Traditions Evolution. And I had quite a few hang fires. So I then switched out my primer for some older Rem shotshell primers. And I noticed they set off the charge much faster.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:20 AM

I had the same problem with the same gun. I switched to cci 209 primers and no more problems.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:45 PM

I'm glad some other have experienced the same problem. I wish I had had time to experiment with a few different combinations of stuff, but I did not...

It is a fun gun to shoot!
Old 12-20-2006, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

Pellets and lite primers just do not work,They are fine for powder
Redclub
Old 12-20-2006, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

Look, I have said this many times before. The rifles are made to shoot a standard W209 primer. If they were made to shoot a special primer shoot that.

What the hell try shooting standard W209 primers out of the thing. They cost only a couple bucks a box at a store that sells reloading supplies. I have only shot them out of my Encore well for close to 10 years.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:57 PM

All that i ever used until this year were plain old Winchester 209 shot shell primers.Never had a misfire withthese primers.Used Pyrodexpowder and pellets, Clean Shot powder and pellets and some Black Powder. This year i bought some of the spiffy 209 M/L primers at three times the cost of the old 209s because they were all that was available in a hurry. Luckily i have not usedany pellets with these primers.When these "lite" primers are gone i will go back to Winchester 209s.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

A friend had the same problem.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:01 PM
Typical Buck

Between my father and I.. we've shot over 100 of the new Winchester 777 primers.. and haven't had a single hang fire.

Could be a number of things...

You said that you fired 3 off before ever loading the gun... the primers prolly fouled the hole in the breech plug. Why fire off 3? Did you not run enough patches to clean the barrel? Maybe take a hat pin and make sure the hole in the breech plug is clear of any excess fouling. You should not need to fire off multiple primers to "dry" the breech. These are primers.. not caps. Sounds like you might want to change your shooting regiment... I'm guessing 99% user error...
Old 01-14-2007, 11:11 PM
Spike

i think the new t7 primers are a joke supposed to be cleaner only thing i see is they cost 3 times as much as reguler primers does

Quick Reply: Hang fire with new Triple 7 primers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.