Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 In-line muzzle loader recommendations? >

In-line muzzle loader recommendations?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

In-line muzzle loader recommendations?

Old 12-18-2006, 10:18 AM

Default In-line muzzle loader recommendations?

I missed TWO shots with the inline muzzle loader I was hunting with this weekend.

I’ll concede that the CVA buckhorn is not by any means a top of the line muzzle loader, and that both shots were at fast moving deer over iron sites - but I have resolved to get something better next year.

I hunted with the CVA Staghorn a few years ago. That is their intro level ($150) model with percussion caps. The buckhorn is the next step up with 209 shotgun primers. Both require a tool to quickly cap the awkward priming nipple. That is a feature I want to avoid. I like the design of the break action muzzle loaders (Thompson?) I’ve seen at gun-shows. They seem easier to prime in the field quickly.

I also want to be able to pull the breach plug for a thorough cleaning at the end of the season.

I don’t mind paying for a quality muzzle loader as the one I buy will likely be the one I keep for the long haul. I’m leaning toward synthetic stocks and stainless steel, but I’m open to suggestions.

Does anyone have a muzzle loader that they love?
Old 12-18-2006, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: In-line muzzle loader recommendations?

ORIGINAL: GroovyMike

I like the design of the break action muzzle loaders (Thompson?) I’ve seen at gun-shows. They seem easier to prime in the field quickly.

I also want to be able to pull the breach plug for a thorough cleaning at the end of the season.

I don’t mind paying for a quality muzzle loader as the one I buy will likely be the one I keep for the long haul. I’m leaning toward synthetic stocks and stainless steel, but I’m open to suggestions.

Everyone here loves a muzzleloader. If you get a breakaction, make sure you can get inside the trigger assembly for cleaning. I used to think I preferred a break action. You need to at least check out the drop action m'lers. They are also easy to prime and best of all, you get them with a solid single stock. Also they have two recoil lugs which make floating the barrel, if needed a snap.

I'd get stainless. Good luck with it.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:56 AM

You will get a ton of different replies but here is mine. If you want to get a gun that will only be a muzzleloader, get an Omega. If you want to get a gun that you can install different barrels, get an Encore. Other manufactures make quality muzzleloaders as well. I just prefer T/C.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:51 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: G2 Shooter

You will get a ton of different replies but here is mine. If you want to get a gun that will only be a muzzleloader, get an Optima. If you want to get a gun that you can install different barrels, get an Encore. Other manufactures make quality muzzleloaders as well. I just prefer T/C.
\
Maybe you meant Omega not Optima if you are a T/C fan???
Old 12-18-2006, 11:55 AM

ORIGINAL: MLKeith

ORIGINAL: G2 Shooter

You will get a ton of different replies but here is mine. If you want to get a gun that will only be a muzzleloader, get an Optima. If you want to get a gun that you can install different barrels, get an Encore. Other manufactures make quality muzzleloaders as well. I just prefer T/C.
\
Maybe you meant Omega not Optima if you are a T/C fan???

I have no idea what you are talking about MLKeith?!
The edit feature is a wonderful thing.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

I missed TWO shots with the inline muzzle loader I was hunting with this weekend.

I’ll concede that the CVA buckhorn is not by any means a top of the line muzzle loader, and that both shots were at fast moving deer over iron sites - but I have resolved to get something better next year.

I hunted with the CVA Staghorn a few years ago. That is their intro level ($150) model with percussion caps. The buckhorn is the next step up with 208 shotgun primers. Both require a tool to quickly cap the awkward priming nipple. That is a feature I want to avoid. I like the design of the break action muzzle loaders (Thompson?) I’ve seen at gun-shows. They seem easier to prime in the field quickly.

I am new to the M/L scene but have hunted with guns off and on my whole life. I bought the Thompson Center Omega kit on sale for $249. I went to Bass Pro Shops and dropped another $150 on a Nikon scope. It took me 13 shots to sight in the scope, group 3 shots in one hole at 50yrds, group within 1.5" at 100yrds, and hit a 2" circle at 150yrds. I was shooting 250gr shockwaves and 100gr of Pyrodex loose. I love how easythis gun is to cap, it is really easy to clean, one peice synthetic stock, and a lifetime manufacture's warranty. The only thing I would changeat this point ifI had it to do again would be to spend the extra time and cash and caught one onsale with a stainless barrel. Now keep in mind this is the first M/L I have owned/shot soyou know what level my advice is on. But I have to saythis will be the only gun I need to hunt all firearms seasons in Missouri.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:19 PM

buying a new rifle is not going to solve your problem at not being able to hit a running deer. I personally would never take a shot at a deer running or even walking fast. It doesnt matter if you are shooting a custom built muzzleloader, plain jane or even a centerfire rifle, if you dont practice shots like that, you'll never even have a clue to where that bullet will end up when u shoot at a moving target. Keep this in mind, my first deer with a muzzleloader was walking normally and i put the sights on the tip of his chest and at 35 yards that bullet hit him in the middle of the ribs. Think about where that bullet would have gone if he was 80-100 yards out there and squeezed a shot off while he was walking. It gets worse when you are shooting huge chunks of lead. Practice more in real hunting situations, off hand, laying down, sitting, kneeling, shooting off a tree limb. You have to practice it all incase you ever come into a tight situation. Heck if you are 20 feet in a tree stand, set up targets and shoot from up there so you know what your rifle will do up there.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:33 PM
Dominant Buck

I hunted with the CVA Staghorn a few years ago. That is their intro level ($150) model with percussion caps. The buckhorn is the next step up with 208 shotgun primers. Both require a tool to quickly cap the awkward priming nipple. That is a feature I want to avoid. I like the design of the break action muzzle loaders (Thompson?) I’ve seen at gun-shows. They seem easier to prime in the field quickly.

Shooting at "fast moving deer over iron sights" is risky enough no matter what brand of rifle your shooting. As for the Buckhorn and the Staghorn, the breech plug does come out for that end of the season cleaning. I sure hope you are pulling that breech plug cleaning every thing real nice and spotless, then re-greasing the plug and putting it back in. I shoot a Staghorn among numerous high dollar inline rifles, it shoots just as good as the others once I get the load worked up.

It sounds like you like everyone else, just wants a fancy new break open muzzleloader. Nothing wrong with that. The Omega, Optima, Pursuit, Sidekick, and others will all provide that. Since you want a rifle for the long haul, I would also look at the stainless steel barrels.

Its a shame you missed those deer... better luck next year.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

Omega, unless you are only alowed to use conicals. As a rule, Omega's don't shoot conicals too well except possibly Power Belts, which I don't personaly care for.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:54 PM

ORIGINAL: mayguy

Omega, unless you are only alowed to use conicals. As a rule, Omega's don't shoot conicals too well except possibly Power Belts, which I don't personaly care for.
Agreed. You need to ask yourself, I may live in a state that allows me to shoot sabots, But what if... What if i ever decided to go hunting in a state that does not allow to use of sabots or an undersized caliber bullet, Now what do i do? Buy another rifle or go with one rifle that will shoot both sabot and conical?. Look at it this way, you go to a car dealership to buy a new truck, you live in an area that nevers see snow But you may travel to a state that does get it, Do you buy a 2wd truck and hope you never do see snow with it or do just buy a 4x4 andyousay screw it im going with something that will give me both of best worlds and have to worry. thats the way i look at it.

Quick Reply: In-line muzzle loader recommendations?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.