Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 150 meters with my Encore >

150 meters with my Encore

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

150 meters with my Encore

Old 12-18-2006, 06:32 AM

Default 150 meters with my Encore

Finally found a range that was bigger then 100 meters and I got to try out my Encore on it. I had some old Triple Seven Pellets so I decided to burn them up. Here is the target from my last 5 shots... not bad if I say so myself. I normally shoot Triple Seven Loose powder.

T/C Encore
Nikon 3-9x40 scope
250gr Shockwave Easy Glide Bonded Sabots
100 gr (2 50 gr pellets) Triple Seven

Range- 150 meters (164 yards)

We did NOT have ideal conditions. It was very windy at 10-20mph so I think I could have been even better with more stable wind conditions. The rest I was using was my Plano box I carry all my supplies in and a towel laid on top so I wasnt super secure.

Old 12-18-2006, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 150 meters with my Encore

ORIGINAL: MOEncore

We did NOT have idea conditions. It was very windy at 10-20mph so I think I could have been even better with more stable wind conditions.
So did you shoot kentucky windage in order to center them in the bull?
Old 12-18-2006, 06:49 AM

No, I had adjusted my scope on the previous target to adjust windage. From 150 meters and using my scope I just aim for the center and my eyesight isnt great so that didnt help much either. To be honest I think I was lucky to get 5 within 1 1/2" from center. Now at 100 meters I can hit 9 out of 10 inside the circle with one eye closed (no pun intended).
Old 12-18-2006, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MOEncore

No, I had adjusted my scope on the previous target to adjust windage. From 150 meters and using my scope I just aim for the center and my eyesight isnt great so that didnt help much either. To be honest I think I was lucky to get 5 within 1 1/2" from center. Now at 100 meters I can hit 9 out of 10 inside the circle with one eye closed (no pun intended).
Yes, some mighty fine shooting. I was afraid you adjustedyour sights windage. If you had cross winds any where close to the what you think they were, you won't be able to hit the bull at 150 meters in pristine range conditions.

Its best to adjust sights for windage only in range conditions which are pristine. Below is a trajectory for your load. It the cross wind magnitude that matters, because wind at your back and in your face has no windage effects. The far right column shows windage. Sometimes you have plan your hunting around these kind of limitations, simply because, we don't have a choice as to what weather well be given to hunt in.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:51 AM

ORIGINAL: Pglasgow
What software is this?
Old 12-18-2006, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: G2 Shooter

What software is this?
Cayugad gave me this link http://www.handloads.com/calc/index.html. It is an online calculator. If you allow your browser to store the html for offline use, you won't even need to be online to use it.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:47 PM
Dominant Buck

that is some excellent 150 meter shooting. Without a doubt, that is one accurate rifle and you're a much better shooter then you give yourself credit for. With the kind of rest you had and the wind conditions, that is outstanding shooting. You now understand why people like those rifles for long range shooting... Good shooting!!!
Old 12-18-2006, 03:56 PM

Cayugad
Thanks Cayugad,

Now I just wish I could get my T/C Renegade .54 dialed in as well. I have a new Green Mountain barrel to mount on it and hopefully can find a load that works good with it. I guess part of the fun is experimenting.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Did you get a 1-70 twist .54 caliber barrel for the Renegade? I have a lot of different barrels from Green Mountain for the Renegade and all of them are great shooters. As are my old Renegade barrels as well. Good luck playing with them.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:29 AM

Cayugad,

Yes I bought the 1 in 70 twist.

Quick Reply: 150 meters with my Encore

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.