HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   777 FFG vs FFFG vs Pellets (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/170653-777-ffg-vs-fffg-vs-pellets.html)

StickChuckin 12-17-2006 02:19 PM

777 FFG vs FFFG vs Pellets

Newb questions.

I'm trying to decide whether to switch from 777 pellets (I'm shooting 100gr 777 with 250gr shockwaves. I've read repeatedly on this board that the loose powder is cheaper and allows for more flexible loads. First question - how many 100gr shots do you get out of 1 pound of powder? I know 7000gr = 1 lb (weight for weight) but I'm assuming that this is a volume issue. I have no idea how much volume a 100gr load is or how much volume for1 lb can of powder. I also understand that 100gr of black powder is about = to 85 gr of 777. What about 777 pellet vs. 777 powder. Does 100gr of pellets = 100 gr of loose powder???

Second is there a practical difference between ffg and fffg for 777? I know fff is a finer powder. Is it so fine that it will trickle through the breach plug when seating the bullet? (i've never seen the loose powder - have no idea about grain size).

Finally, anything that I need to know when loading? The pellets sit on the outside of the breech plug leaving the concave area of the breech plug empty of powder (I'm shooting an omega). With the loose powder, that space would get filled in. Do I just seat the sabot "firmly"?

Thanks for all the help. I've bow hunted for 14 years. This is the first time I've ever hunted with something that goes "bang".

cayugad 12-17-2006 02:46 PM

RE: 777 FFG vs FFFG vs Pellets

I'm trying to decide whether to switch from 777 pellets (I'm shooting 100gr 777 with 250gr shockwaves.
The trouble with saying how many shots you will get per pound is hard to say. Depends on the size of the loads, how much you spill (very common), and to be honest, I have never really counted a pound of powder and the number of shots. I would guess 70 or more, but that is just a guess. I have shot all day on a pound of loose powder.

When you get acase of pellets that will give you 50 - 100 grain shots. Out of a pound of loose powder, you will get more then 50 shots for sure. The cost of the pellets is often times more then $28.00 here where I live. In the loose powder I can often get it on sale for $15.00. but even standard for $21.00. So any way you look at it, the loose powder will save you money.

Second is there a practical difference between ffg and fffg for 777?
With Triple Se7en 3fthere is a little more in the barrel pressure department and speed of projectile but not as much as I once first thought. It does seem to burn better. I use both grades depending on what I am shooting and what rifle I am shooting.

Finally, anything that I need to know when loading?
Well other then dumping the powder down the barrel, it does not hurt to thump the butt of the rifle and level the load, and with Triple Se7en I load with moderate pressure, not hard pressure. There really is not a lot to it.

steelerzzz 12-17-2006 03:31 PM

I like the loose powder better because you can customize your charge .Some shooters claim that weighing charges of 777 is better for accuracy.(instead of measured charges).I'm not sure if there is any advantage to that though. The one thing Ido like about pellets is that the cleanup is alot less messy if you push out an unshot charge through the breech.

Duckbutter48 12-17-2006 04:35 PM

I use 777 FFG and "I think" plz correct me if Im wrong but it seems like 80grns on the scale is justa little less then 100 grn volume.

I shoot 250grn SSt's in my 50 cal and the combo works pretty good.

Tracker12 12-17-2006 06:24 PM

So is there a difference between 100 grain pellets and 100 grains volume?

HEAD0001 12-17-2006 06:39 PM

How many shots per pound is a great question. I can get 80-90 in my flinter. I shoot 70 grains of 3F blackpowder. As was mentined earlier, it depends on how much you spill. I personally have spilled alot of it. The grass grows green around our bench.

Ilike 3F Blackpowder. Obviously loose. I believe the flakes are slightly smaller, and in my opinion gives a faster burn rate.

I think moisture has alot to do with accuracy, because I believe it directly effects the powder. I think it directlyeffects the burn rate. I normally hunt in cold inclement weather, so I normally sight my rifle in when the weather is a bit nasty. I have noticed on a bright, sunny, and dry day that my rifle will shoot different POI. Then I shoot on an overcast wet day, and I again have a different POI.

It may sound radical, but I believe weather plays a great trick on BP guns. Sorry, it may sound silly, but I believe it. Tom.

lemoyne 12-17-2006 07:45 PM

The primers and tightness of sabot and weight of bullet will have some effect on the way your powder burns so there will be some differances. That said in my System One which I have been doing some experimenting with 777 in 83 to 84 gr of loose gives the same velocity and close to the same reading on the strain gage as 100 gr of 777 pellets which is what should be expected as the announced goal when they chaged the pellets was to get the same velocity as 100 gr of Pyrodex pellets. Since 777 is a faster burning higher enegry powder ithas its best comparison in short barrels where its hard to burn all of a slower powder.
That also means that max load will be lower. After doing some testing on the strain gage I came to the conclusion that 120 gr of 777 should be my absolute max as it gives about the same reading on the strain gage as 150 Pyrodex. My biggest suprise on these tests is that 777 in FF and FFF give very close to the same reading on the strain gage. Excuse me for rambling. Lee

StickChuckin 12-17-2006 07:46 PM

Thanks for all the info. It really helps! I'm still a little unsure about weight vs volume. The 777 website says don't use weight, but use volume instead...?! I'm also not sure what volume of 777 FFG = 2 50gr 777 pellets.

By the way, I stopped by Wallyworld tonight and got 2 lbs of the 777 FFG. Clearance price $15 / lb.

cayugad 12-17-2006 07:51 PM

If it is any help, they claim 85 grains of loose T-7 powder is equal in power to 2 of the T-7 pellets. That's because the pellets are made lighter then their Pyrodex counterparts, so they provide an equal amount of power.

While the 15% rule is not cut in stone, it will be close. Although a trip to the range will do a lot more for you then we can.. Good luck and that's a great price on that powder. I'd of bought them out at that price. :D

HEAD0001 12-17-2006 07:52 PM

Ha lemoyne, have you ever tried that strain gauge at differnt humidities, and temperatures, with the same load? I sure would like to see those results. Where do you get one of those con-founded things? Are they expensive? Man you got my motor running with your post. Tom.