Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New Kodiak Pro shoots low+left Can U help? >

New Kodiak Pro shoots low+left Can U help?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Kodiak Pro shoots low+left Can U help?

Old 12-16-2006, 09:36 PM

Default New Kodiak Pro shoots low+left Can U help?

I bought a new Kodiak Pro Magnum stainless steel .50 cal. this year and had trouble sighting it in with my scope. I tried a second scope. I tried no scope and found at 25 yards shooting a pie plate, aiming dead center it was 6+ inches low at 7 o'clock and barely hit the pie plate.
I was able to adjust windage far right to get the shot centered but with the elevation rear dura-sight ramp fully forward, it still shoots 4 inches low at 25 yards.I am using powerbelt bullets 223 grain and 295 grain with 100 grains of 777 (2 pellets). I tried Pyrodex Pellets w/same 100 grain load. Either 223 or 295 still low+ left. I am thinking of trying a different front sight with a lower profile first, but am concernedthat the scope is having a hard time adjusting that far off center. Has anyone else heard of this? I am a veteran hunter with much experience: rifle, bow or even black powder. This is my first in-line but I have hunted years with a CVA Hawken and take deer every year with open sights. I also have taken a buck with my .308 this gun season. Any ideas? I am shooting on a sand bag atop a table at a 25 yard target. Not much room to miss there. I am wondering if it could be a Power Belt bullet issue. Maybe the gun doesn't like them.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: New Kodiak Pro shoots low+left Can U help?

When you had the scope on the rifle shooting at 25 yards, what kind of groups were you shooting? If the rifle still would not shoot basically a ragged hole at 25 yards, I would suspect a couple things... the projectile/powder combination was not something the rifle liked and you need to look at other projectiles and maybe change to loose powder and start at 80 grains of powder.

The scope mounts were loose. Or the scope was broken. But with your application of the second scope that should have tested the first scope. Also check the mounting lugs and the bedding of the rifle. make sure the rifel is fitting the stock and there are not any seriious pressure points between the stock and the barrel. Also check the lugs and make sure you are not over or under tightening them.

We it me and my rifle.. I would put the scope back on. Make sure the mounts are good and secure. Make sure the lug is good and secure. I would get loose Triple Se7en 2f and some 240 grain XTP's. I would then load 80 grains and an XTP and shoot off a sand bag at 25 yards to get the scope centered. After that start adding powder until you get a good tight group.

Then move back to 50 yards and do this all over again. Somewhere I am sure a load will surface for the rifle and it should shoot good groups. Make sure you swab the barrel between shots and keep good notes as to what projectile, powder charge, etc you try and how they do. Sometimes it takes a lot of experimentation to find the right load.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: qwkdrawmt1

I bought a new Kodiak Pro Magnum stainless steel .50 cal. this year and had trouble sighting it in with my scope. I tried a second scope. I tried no scope and found at 25 yards shooting a pie plate, aiming dead center it was 6+ inches low at 7 o'clock and barely hit the pie plate.
I was able to adjust windage far right to get the shot centered but with the elevation rear dura-sight ramp fully forward, it still shoots 4 inches low at 25 yards.I am using powerbelt bullets 223 grain and 295 grain with 100 grains of 777 (2 pellets). I tried Pyrodex Pellets w/same 100 grain load. Either 223 or 295 still low+ left. I am thinking of trying a different front sight with a lower profile first, but am concernedthat the scope is having a hard time adjusting that far off center. Has anyone else heard of this? I am a veteran hunter with much experience: rifle, bow or even black powder. This is my first in-line but I have hunted years with a CVA Hawken and take deer every year with open sights. I also have taken a buck with my .308 this gun season. Any ideas? I am shooting on a sand bag atop a table at a 25 yard target. Not much room to miss there. I am wondering if it could be a Power Belt bullet issue. Maybe the gun doesn't like them.
Have you had the barrel out of the stock? It sounds like the front lug is torqued beyond reason. Completely loosen it and the the breech side lug too. Then tighten back but not very tight. See how that changes point of impact. If it helps, then go to the "APEX Float/Bed" There is discussed ways to float the barrel and get a better stock fit. I think the stock fit isn't good and themuzzle lugscrew is torquing the POI down. MLKeith, missed his elk (using an Omega) on account of a similar problem. If that doesn't help, I think I'd return it.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

qwkdrawmt1

I am re-reading your post and not totally understanding...

Using the open sights on the gun and with the rear sight moved all the way right and all the way up you are 4" low, but left and right where are you hitting? If it is consistenly low then your assumption of a lower front sight is correct. Can the front blade be moved Left or right in the ramp if it has a ramp? that will help compensate to move the rear sight back towards the center - but you know all of this...

I think the first thing I might try and you may have already done this... put remove the breech plug and put the gun in some sort of cradle where it will remain steady - simply cut a couple of notches in a cardboard box or something like that.. I then point the rifle down the of the house to the closet door. With the rifle supported you not touching it I have Terry line a target on the door where the barrel is pointing dead center on the bull. She then tapes it in place. From there go back on top and see where your open sights are lining up. It is not impossible that the boring machine may have gotten the line canted off a little bit - barrel pointing one place and sights canted. All of this could also effect the scope mounts...

To check the scope try to center the elevation and the windage in the middle of their travel then repeat the process from above... Assuming that you have checked that the bases are tight and the rings are centered in the bases...

I'll be honest I am just writing as I think of things that might do... but along with that I am concerned that the bore may be off center since both you open sights and the scope are not lining up.

I really do not think it is a projectile problem as much as a bore problem or even a damaged crown. Does the Kodiac have QLA system or what ever CVA calls their easy loading system - that could also be a big factor if that were off center a bit and that is also possible.

Just a bunch of random thoughts that might also jog something in your mind...

All of this with the assumption that this is a new gun to you...

Good luck - keep coming back with your thoughts and/or additional things you have tried...

Old 12-18-2006, 01:08 AM

I had bought the same gun, the same powerbelts, and the same problem with sightingthe CVAin. I did not have enough adjustment with the rear sight to compansate for the low point of inpact. Then I took it apart to cleen it and My point of inpact changed. I must have tightened the lugs down to tight becouse I was hitting much lower than befor with a more inconsistant group.

I also believe that Pqlasqow is on to something after looking at the gun and how it fit on the stock.

Have you had the barrel out of the stock? It sounds like the front lug is torqued beyond reason. Completely loosen it and the the breech side lug too. Then tighten back but not very tight. See how that changes point of impact. If it helps, then go to the "APEX Float/Bed" There is discussed ways to float the barrel and get a better stock fit. I think the stock fit isn't good and themuzzle lugscrew is torquing the POI down. MLKeith, missed his elk (using an Omega) on account of a similar problem. If that doesn't help, I think I'd return it.
I returned the gun! Too b ig of a problem for me! I now got a TC and hope that that does better.

Good luck with the CVA. I would like to know how things turn out for you. It is amazeing to me that we had the same results from this gun???[&:]
Old 12-18-2006, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations on your new rifle HoleHopper. Just keep in mind this one thing. If your barrel isn't floating. Point of impact can change dramatically if you do not tighten the lug screws consistently. This is true for every make of rifle, both muzzleloader and centerfire. Examine the new rifle and either ensure the barrel floats or be certain that you tighten those screws consistently if the barrel beds the stock.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:30 PM

It sounds like the problem I had with my Kodiak, except it shot way the heck off to the right. A change of rifle is what solved my problem. You've shot it with two different scopes and iron sights. It a pretty safe bet it's the gun. See if you can return or exchange the gun.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:29 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses! I contacted CVA and they sent a new gun to me. It had the same problem also, shooting low andleft. I called them back about it. They sent me a new set of Williams sights. they are fiber optic also but they have more distance adjustment . I put the new sights on last night and shot the gun today. Amazing! I was on the target a little high but I started out that way expecting the worst. I only had to make a minor adjustment to get it dead on the target. It shoots like I hoped it would and my confidence is at the highest. I KNOW what I can do with this sweetie nowand CVA helped to make it happen. No hassle at all, they were very helpful and super responsive. Great Customer service! Christmas has come early! I will be in the woods in the morning with THIS gun and I know we'll be 100%!