Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega ?

Old 12-19-2006, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Omega ?

I'll check into that. I get back to you. I'm curious about that myself. I did feel it blow back a couple of times if that tells you anything.

Tom
Old 12-19-2006, 10:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

statjunk

If'n your Omega breech plug is like mine, you really might want to switch toPR Bullet's 25 ACP breech plug. MLKieth has been a champion of this set for along time he finally convinced me to try it. It is an excellent device. Makes it more like pglasgows apex. No soot or mess in the breech at all. The shell slides out into your hand after you open the drop and as he professed (MLKieth) it is much simpler to load. And it is not as apt to push tne bullet off the powder before ignition as some of the hotter shotgun primer MIGHT.

The 25 ACP is a very small shell, bout the size (length) of a regular 22 shell. It uses small rifle primers. you can get pick up some simple hand tools to prime and deprime the shell casings. I bought a 100 shells from PR, been using the same 20 over and over. The first timeyou use one it take a little more pressure than normal to close the door as the door closing shapes the tip of the shell to the breech plug and create the seal...

I am really thinking you will like your... Omega

mike

Old 12-19-2006, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks,

I looked at the Z5 at Walmart. But snoozed, and loozed when they marked them down. I thought it to be a very good fitting rifle for me. I also thought the grip as little small for my hand, nothing I couldn't have lived with though. It occurs to me that you might like the standard stock better for feel.

Anyway, I was also wondrin if you could describe the design of the QLA. What itis like dimensionally in regards to the bore. I failed to check that part of the rifle when I was checking it out.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Pglasgow

I forgot to mention... the pistol grip I added a palm swell to my White to increase the of the grip and to fill my hand it really does work well.

Can not rember if I posted this before but here it goes again

It is simple product with an adhesive on the back... it can actually be peeled off and put back on. It actually stays put better than I thought it would even in bad weather....

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7405&title=HAND-EEZ+PALM+SWELL

Old 12-19-2006, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mike,

That looks very comfortable. I need to add that to my next Brownell's order.

Oh and did I tell you I like autumn aspen?

Phil
Old 12-19-2006, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

Before you spend the money for the 25 ACP adapter you might want to try the Win 777 primers. I have had very good luck with them as they are easy to get out (less blowback in primer pocket) and drastically reduce the crud ring. Before the 777 primers came out I bought the Veri Flame adapter for my Omega and it seems to work about the same as the 777 primers ( it also uses a small rifle primers). Some who tried the 777 primers didn't have as good success with them as I have but they are worth a try. If you don't likethem you can always buy either the 25 ACP or the Vari Flame adapters.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

mayguy

(less blowback in primer pocket)
The point being with the 25 ACP there is no blow back - doesn't even stain the shell casing. The Vari-flame is nothing more that a small rifle primer in a shot shell battery cup - you will get blow by...

I use Remington 209-4 primers - primers made for the 410 shot gun they have less flame than the 777 primers - but I still deposit soot in the breach area - I really do not think I am getting blow-back from the main charge.

Old 12-19-2006, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

I agree that the soot comes from the primer itself. I just don"t get much from either the 777 primers or the Veri Flame. With any of the 209 primers I have tried (4 kinds) the 777 are the only ones that I can just hold the gun verticle and the spent primers just falls out ( after as many as 40 shots). With the others ( Rem Kleenbore included ) after 3 or 4 shots I have to use a primer removal tool to get them out. The fouling gets that heavy. The Veri Flame are cleaner yet but they are kind of a pain to make sure you don't drop and loose them where the 25ACP would be easier to handle, but I really don't have any problems with primer pocket crud with either the 777 primers or the Veri Flame.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got lucky a few years back and picked up a Z5 Omega .50 with accessorie kit and t-hole stock for $199 since it was a display model and the last hey had.. Taked to a manager and he asked, "how does $199 + tax sound? I IMMEDIATELY replied, "SOLD!"
The guy went to the back, got the box, paperwork and accessories, and I walked out with a decent shooter for $100 off the regular price of $299. Good day that day was!!!!
Old 09-27-2013, 05:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Start out with 100 grains of Blackhorn and a win 209 with a 250 grain Shock Wave after you break it in with 50 shots of FPB's. That will give you a standard to compare to.

Quick Reply: Omega ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.