Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 First ML deer of the season. >

First ML deer of the season.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

First ML deer of the season.

Old 12-15-2006, 06:34 PM

Default First ML deer of the season.

I got a small doe this evening when she walked by at about 70yds. She was dragging her left back leg like it was broken so I decided to take her. Only problem was the powerbelt fragmented when it hit her instead of passing threw. Which surprised me because I was only shooting 100 grains of triple seven pellets. With a rather heavy bullet. I'll post pics as soon as I get them off my Camera.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: First ML deer of the season.

Well the fragmented powerbelt must have worked since you have pictures. I bet there was a good wound channel in her. Congratulations on taking the doe. And also I want to complement you on your good sense of taking a wounded deer out of the herd. Many times people pass them up when these are the very deer that need to be harvested. Kudo's to your sportsmanship and hunting ethics... Again, enjoy the venison.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:58 PM

Heres a couple of pics. I'll post more when I skin her of the wound channel.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:59 PM

Another.

Old 12-15-2006, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

thats a real nice doe
Old 12-15-2006, 09:05 PM
Dominant Buck

that is a dandy table doe... looks like the one I shot this year.. Again, congratulations..
Old 12-16-2006, 10:18 AM

Pretty good doe. Congrats. I shot a humongous doe with bow and one about that size with muzzleloader. Mine was getting chased by a button and I decided to take her instead. They're good eating.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:15 AM

Nice doe and 'gratz on your first ML harvest. I shoot powerbelts (295gr hollowpoint) and very few actually pass through in my experience. I shoot 100gr of triple 7. My opinion is that I want the slug to stay inside the animal to expend it's energy in the organs instead of in the dirt on the other side of the deer. Some people will disagree because it makes for less of a blood trail to track with, but all but one deer that I have shot with power belts have either fallen in their tracks, or have run less than 20 yards before piling up. The one that ran went about 300 yards and that was only because of my impatience causing him to jump and run. They do a ton of internal damage so I keep using them. They are easy to use, very accurate and they do the job.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well done!!!!! Congrats on your first ML deer! This was my first season with the flinter, I really enjoyed having this gun in the woods with me. No deer but a life long experience! Once again CONGRATS, I can't wait till my first with the ML!!!!!!
Old 12-16-2006, 01:44 PM

This morning I brought her to a friend who is a butcher so he can age her in his cooler. I would just hang her in my barn but it is supposed to be in the mid 70's this week. He's also gonna skin her for me so when I get her back later this week I'll post some more pics.