Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Recommend BP Revolver >

Recommend BP Revolver

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Recommend BP Revolver

Old 12-15-2006, 04:42 PM

Default Recommend BP Revolver

Does anyone regularly shoot a blackpowder revolver? I had a stainless Ruger New Army 30 years ago when I first started shooting BP and found it rather temperamental and clumsy. It may have been the reason I haven't shot another BP revolver since but I'd like to give it another try.

Are there any BP revolvers that shoot exceptionally well now a days that you would recommend? The Ruger had a large frame that fit my big hands pretty wellso I guess I should stick with a Remington reproduction.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:44 PM

Default RE: Recommend BP Revolver

Look for one thats not made in italy.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:23 PM
Dominant Buck

I own and shoot a F.L. Lippeta .44 caliber 1858 Remington Style Revolver. I bought it at Cabela's a couple years ago. It is an extremely good shooter actually. I load 25 grains of Goex 3f, wad and a.451 ball. Very accurate, fun to shoot, monster to clean. The best way I found to clean it is take the whole thing apart, take the grips off, and then get the dishsoap and water going and scub the devil out of the whole thing with brushes...

I would recommend it for an inexpensive revolver although I think the Ruger is far superior. I just did not want to spend that much money on a revolver.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:27 PM

Have you shot777 or Pyrodex through it?
Old 12-15-2006, 05:35 PM
Dominant Buck

I've shot Pyrodex P through it once and it did real well. I use the #10 Remington caps. Also I learned the key to shooting longer is to pull the cylinder when you reload and wipe out the inner frame and the lock posts. That way the cylinder continues to turn nice and free and it functions real good without catching caps in the rotation.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Best one is the Ruger!

Revolver
KBP-7

I have the .44mag from Cabelas

Old 12-16-2006, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

Good luck finding a BP revolver that is not made in Italy! Of course, if you want to stay with American made be prepared to shell out the bucks unless you go with Ruger. Today's Ruger is not the same gun as it was 30 years ago. Right out of the box it's great but a gunsmith can make it run smooth as silk with an inexpensive action job.
Italian made BP revolvers are now considered some of the best available. There have been so many improvements in the quality of the metal and the fit/finish. If you recognize the quality of the Beretta name, then you'll be impressed to know they now own Uberti, one of the leading manufacturers of Italian made blackpowder guns. Uberti makes the guns for many different importers such as Cabela's, Cimarron Arms, Taylor's & Co., Navy Arms, Dixie Gun Worksand others. These guns are used by thousands of competition shooters involved in the great sport of Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS).
Pedersoli (Davide Pedersoli) is another Italian firm that makes some premium blackpowder reproduction firearms. Excellent quality guns!
However, for the money, it's very hard to beat the quality, strength and reliability of the Ruger Old Army revolver! If you're going to be using your revolver for hunting or as backup on a hunt, I can't think of a better choice.
My two cents! plus some change...LOL!
Old 12-16-2006, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

It is to bad you don't like the Rugar, mine is very accurate and well made. I have had several others and none of them held the consistant accuracy that my Rugars do. Lee
Old 12-16-2006, 02:16 PM

I like that ruger. Im not big on full frames, i love the 1850s-1860s half frames. Dont get a brass frame pistol, they are weak.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:32 PM

i gotta pieta 1858rem repro...shoots great

if the cylinder starts ta bind just squirt it with wd40

NOTHING CAN BEAT A RUGER C&B

there's always Colt if yer wallets big enough

early