Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Hoping for some insight >

Hoping for some insight

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hoping for some insight

Old 12-17-2006, 09:20 PM

Default Hoping for some insight

OK guys, I know that I go around bashing certain muzzleloaders and praising others on herebut now I would like your opinions.

God willing, I will buy a new inline after Christmas this year. I am hoping for Cabela's gift cards and money as gifts. Best case scenario I will have $300 dollars tospend onone at the years end.

The only muzzleloaders I will consider are the T/C Omega, Knight Revolution, NEF Sidekick, and recently I have been interested in the Winchester Apex, on sale right now at Cabela's for $200 in stainless/black.

I would like your opinions on these M/L's. They're the only ones I like.

The Winchester seems the best deal by far. The Omega would be my number one choice by far, however.

I want a muzzleloader that I can use for the rest of my life and be perfectly happy with.Idon't wanna start a debate and would like each person's personal, unbashed opinion. Which would you purchase? Thanks for so much help everyone.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:32 PM

Default RE: Hoping for some insight

Me personally,
First thing I want in a hunting m/ler is stainless.
Second thing is that I don't want any special plastic loading dooohickies or thingamajigs that I have to buy. Just want 209 primers, no holders or any of that jazz. Sure as heck, I would leave them at home or would run out and no store in town would have them.
Third, easy to clean. That means no goofy system that I have to take apart.
Fourth, easy to mount a scope on and operate w/ heavy gloves. Some models I think were designed w/ a scope as an afterthought.
Something for me that isn't super important, but is a consideration, is whether or not it is American made.
Customer service is important too.
I really don't care about the sights so much, scopes are legal here and that is what I would be using anyway.
Reputation in the field. Some are good, some are not. Some are mixed.

Overall, if it were me, I would opt for the T/C. But, then I am biased a bit. Not against the others, but towards T/C products and have had outstanding results for the past three years w/ my Encore.

Just my opinion.

Hank
Old 12-17-2006, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

outdoorslover,

I'm trying to sell a Stainless Sidekick right now and so I probably should notsay this. I am totally disappointed in it relative to the Apex I just purchased. The experience with the Apex has convinced me that I don't want to mess with the Sidekick any longer. Thats why I'm selling her for less than half I paid for her. So I would suggest you rule it out, right now. Sidekick, while a very good shooter,has a number of problems the Apex totally fixed and then some. I would think the knights, t/c's would leave you just as satisfied as the Apex has me.

The Sidekick is so nasty in the breech when you shoot it. Its action can not be reached for cleaning. It requires continued maintenance at the range to continue shooting. Its like the dark ages compared to what it can be with a quality rifle. For less money or the same money you can experience modern inline muzzleloading as it should be. The Sidekick has a wonderful trigger and a consistent (yet very rough when new) bore, but that is all I can say positive for it. Yet those two things contribute to accuracy and precision which is no doubt there for the sidekick. But I would get anything you mentionedexcept forit. The only way I would own a NEF now is if it were the Huntsman and only then as a non-muzzleloading rifle/shotgun.

Now if I stepped on any toes,do keep in mind that I am merely sharing my own experience. I really do wish someone who valued the things I do in a muzzleloader had stepped in told me these samethings I had to learn the hard way.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Dominant Buck

I have thought your question over ... I would go for something with a stainless barrel, and good warranty. I would head for a Thompson Center product like the Omega. Even if I had to save a few more months before the purchase. And of course watch for sales... Then you would have a rifle that would last a life time for you.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hard to beat that TC warranty.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:14 AM

Is TC a sponcer of this web sight??? Or is TC's that good????
Old 12-18-2006, 12:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

If its broke, they will fix it, no questions, whether you purchased it new or not. They don't want to fix things which in their mind isn't broke. Things like a 5.5 lb trigger, a barrel incapable of shooting conicals, or a misaligned QLA. So is it possible that you won't be satisfied? Yes, but unlikely.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

If you want advice on which you should buy, all you have to do is read what you wrote.

" The Winchester seems the best deal by far. The Omega would be my number one choice by far, however.
I want a muzzleloader that I can use for the rest of my life and be perfectly happy with. "

Don't you think that you should buy the one you want most if you're going to be using it for a long, long time? Why buy the best deal and always wish you had boughtyour number one choice instead?
Old 12-18-2006, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Gruntr Huntr

If you want advice on which you should buy, all you have to do is read what you wrote.

" The Winchester seems the best deal by far. The Omega would be my number one choice by far, however.
I want a muzzleloader that I can use for the rest of my life and be perfectly happy with. "

Don't you think that you should buy the one you want most if you're going to be using it for a long, long time? Why buy the best deal and always wish you had boughtyour number one choice instead?
This is good advice get the one you wantto own. Thats what I did and I am not regretting it one iota.

Nothing is worse than buying what someone else wantsyou to buy, youprobably won't be satisfied if you do.It's really to bad that you can't try them all on for size by shooting each model you'd like at the range. Then you'd know for certain that your judgement of each is based on your own experience and founded in the qualities you value in a muzzleloader. But then what a fellow doesn't know won't hurt him. Its what you thinkthat matters, its just nice to know that what one thinks is all based in fact, at least factual from one's own experience and perspective.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:17 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I just broke down and bought the Apex in stainless/black. I couldn't find any reason not to buy it and decided it's exactly whatI want. I am sure I will be completely satisfied. I could not justify paying full price for the Omega with those extras and I think I got the best deal possible.

Quick Reply: Hoping for some insight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.