Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

2006 doe

Old 12-12-2006, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 2006 doe

Hey Guys

I took the old peep-sighted 54 Cal. T/C Renegade into the woods last weekend, brought out a nice doe. Had a great morning with good deer movement on snow, which is hit or miss where I am in Indiana. Shot the doe on the edge ofa corn field after spotting 4 while still hunting. Made may way toward the deer without being busted bythem or the dozen turkeys that were out there. That took about 15 minutes. Closed the distance to 75-80 yds then had to waita fewminutes for an opening through the brush. Finally the biggest deer cleared. I settled the front bead on the shoulderand sent the 435 gr maxiball on its way.Recovered the deerabout 40 yds into the woods. The shot was picture perfect.Didn't weigh it but she was big for around here, easily 125, maybe 135 dressed. Butchered last night because of the temps. Some great looking steaks and chops in the freezer.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 2006 doe

Congrats on the doe. I just bought a .54cal, how did the maxiball perform on her?
Old 12-12-2006, 11:12 AM

Very nice... got to love the .54 T/C Renegades... I LOVE mine!
Old 12-12-2006, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great stalk UncleNorby. Awesome! Congratulations!
Old 12-12-2006, 01:19 PM
Typical Buck

Way to go Uncle! How many pounds of powder does it take to move that 435 grain maxiball? Must pack a wallop!
Old 12-12-2006, 02:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Nice shooting.. Congratulations. Those Renegades are one of the best rifles Thompson Center every brought out on the market. The only change they made that I did not agree with was the single trigger in the Renegade Hunter. Although I shot a friend's .50 caliber Renegade Hunter and I have to admit, that was a sweet trigger on that rifle..

Those big maxiball sure plant a critter.. nice shooting again. I bet that will be some great eating.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks to all for the congrats. It's "just a doe", but you all know how it feels to take a nice deer with an opensighted muzzleloader. I was tickled.

While butchering I found that the maxiball struck both shoulderblades. The nearside shoulderblade was basically centered but not broken, the offside was nicked. An offside rib was broken as well.

I've shot quite a few deer with this gun. Pass throughs are what I've come to expect. So the performace was what I would call typical for maxiballs. Two or three times, it has nearly shot diagonally through deer. In these cases the slugs were recovered under the hide or nearly so.

I don't shoot the gun much these days, but it has always been as accurate as the shooter. It is a hunter model with the single trigger, and it is a sweet trigger compared to some like a white mountain carbine I have and a friend's New Englander, all with the same trigger design. I like the hunter model, but it is obviously not as traditional looking as the original.

I shoot the maxiballs over 100 gr loose Pyrodex. It does pack a whallop but it's not a real hard kicking gun. One thing about the stock design though, if you don't get your face down on it, you may get whacked on the cheek. I know you guys know this, but there is something about a big lead slug for killing power. It wilts them pretty quick.

I'm still hunting, waiting for a decent buck. We'll see what the weekend brings, sounds like warm weather so who knows.