Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

777 use in Omega?

Old 12-11-2006, 11:03 AM

Default 777 use in Omega?

I just got an stainless, 50 cal. Omega. I really wanted the Lamanate non thumbhole stock. They were on sale at Cabellas for less than the cost of there synthetic stock. Nice looker but did'nt fit like the synthetic stock did, when I would shoulder it. I think becouse the upper part of the stock prevented me the abillity to line up my eye with the sights. Wourse yet with any Thumbhole or pistal grip design. So I got the synthetic stock. The guys behind the counter didnt like the fact that I wanted to test the trigger pull on three different guns. They were dumbfounded when all three guns were different, just after they just got done telling me that they were not. Had to be there! I got the one that had a trigger pull of 3.75 lbs verses 4.25 lbs. It is amazing what you will learn on this sight. Thanks!

I am thinking about what load I should start out with for the range, deer and bear. I read the Omega manual and it said' "black powder or parodox only!" for some reason? I dontwant to do anythingagainst the Manufacturer recomendations, but I had my mind set on 777. I hunt in below freezing temps for the most part.

Can I use, and would you recomend useing 777, or should I stay withtwo 50 gr. paradox pellets to start out with?

Old 12-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 777 use in Omega?

Those T/C manuals have been saying Black Powder or Pyrodex only for years. Pyrodex is a substitute powder just like Triple Se7en, Black Mag3, American Pioneer, Pinnacle, and Shockey Gold. All of them are fine to use in the Omega. Granted one powder might perform better then the others, but that will only be learned through trial and error.

Go ahead and shoot Triple Se7en or Pyrodex Pellets if you want. You can save some money by shooting loose powder though. A 250 grain Shockwave or a all lead projectile should be good deer and bear medicine. There are so many different projectiles out on the market to choose from, I feel guilty naming one or two.

To get the feel of the rifle, get some loose powder. Put 100 grains of loose powder in the barrel and seat a 250 Shockwave on that and have at it. You might want some of the Wincheser 777 primers (although I have not tired them personally). I hear they keep the crud ring down. Another projectile would be a 240 grain XTP. Both of them should shoot good and be good deer and bear loads, although there are better projectiles out there. I am sure the forum will tell you all about them.

Have fun shooting your rifle. You picked a great one there. Good luck.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the advise. I may go to the loose powder eventually. I am just looking for a good starting point to get me shooting. So I think I will stick with the pellets for now.

I Tryed loading a Shockwave with the sabit that came in the package with the gun and it was really hard to load.

Is there an easier to load sabit that I could use with the shockwave?

Thanks
Old 12-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: HoleHopper

Thanks for the advise. I may go to the loose powder eventually. I am just looking for a good starting point to get me shooting. So I think I will stick with the pellets for now.

I Tryed loading a Shockwave with the sabit that came in the package with the gun and it was really hard to load.

Is there an easier to load sabit that I could use with the shockwave?

Thanks
Did you use a short starter to get it into the barrel? With the QLA system many people think the pop that sabot in there and then push it down with the ramrod. That will ocassionally work, but most sabots I load I have to use a short starter to get them "into the barrel."

If the sabots are loading real tight, get some BLACK in color Crushed Rib Sabots. They should help make loading a lot easier. The Black sabots are for the .452 diameter bullets. GREEN are for the .430
Old 12-11-2006, 01:05 PM

Great info! No I did not use a short starter. I seee now that I may have too.
They make different sabots for different diamater bullets? Do peaple mix and match different sabots with different diamature bullets to fit down there barral or is changeing what is recomended pretty much taboo. Forgive me im new. but I know that this one shot challange is right for me!
Old 12-11-2006, 01:14 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: HoleHopper

Great info! No I did not use a short starter. I seee now that I may have too.
They make different sabots for different diamater bullets? Do peaple mix and match different sabots with different diamature bullets to fit down there barral or is changeing what is recomended pretty much taboo. Forgive me im new. but I know that this one shot challange is right for me!
For instance, you can purchase a Hornady XTP in .430 diameter in 240 grain or the same bullet in .452 diameter The smaller ones are normally Green in Color.. the bigger the Black ones are the .452. Then there is an orange sabot which is .458 and will take .457-.458 bullets, plus there is a .400 sabot that you can shoot a 10mm bullet in XTP out of. Just make sure you match the diameter of the bullet your shooting to the sabot your shooting and you should be all right. Don't mix and match bullets of say a .430 into a .452 sabot.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

A lot of us Omega shooters find the MMp HPH 24 an excellant match with 120 or 130 gr powder and a 451 or 452 bullet Shock Wave XTP and Speer gold dot in the 250 gr all shoot an inch group in mine.
As for the powder Black or Pyrodex has work in all most all black Mag if you can get itsome have good luck with 777 I have not gotten past the "crudring" myself but have had good luck with APP ff except for a bad can.
Lee
Old 12-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Dominant Buck

That style is my favorite for starting sabots...
Old 12-11-2006, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

HoleHopper,

I haven't shot alot of sabots. But recently purchased some BB 375 SSBs. My Sidekick has land diameter of .501 which is smaller (i think) than your omega. They slide right down with the ram rod and really shoot well in the NEF sidekick. Don't know if you like all lead bullets, but these have very good ballistic profile (actual B.C. of .290+) and are easy to load in a barrel which should be tighter than your Omega.

Triple Se7en shoots them in his with good results.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:35 PM

I woulkd not shoot 777 in an Omega.I cannot load a second shot without swabbing the barrel.I mean you cannot seat the bullet properly, period.A lot of folks have the same problem.It's a shame because i really like 777 elsewise.It cleans easy and shoots well.

CB

Quick Reply: 777 use in Omega?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.