Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 What the heck is this? >

What the heck is this?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What the heck is this?

Old 12-09-2006, 08:24 AM

Default What the heck is this?

Its a black powder carbine of some sort. It was given too me by my grandpa but he dont know anything about it. He dont even remember where he got it. He found it tucked away.
it doesnt have any brand on it that i can find. it has numbers though, like serial numbers. Im sure its not like modern muzzleloaders so I dont have the faintist idea how too use it or even get a kit for it. It seems too be in good shape. I dont even know what caliber it is. Anyone know where I can find info on it?

Old 12-09-2006, 08:29 AM

Default RE: What the heck is this?

i found this but im not sure if its the samething or not. http://arms2armor.com/store/product16.html http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/BlkPowder/58RemCarb.htm

Old 12-09-2006, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is what you have.......

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0006192210988a&type=product&cm Cat=cchart_trd_blk_pwdr_rfl

Old 12-09-2006, 08:43 AM

How do I know what brand it is? I see cabelas makes one, remington makes one. I suppose it would say remington if it was a remington, correct? They look like alot of fun. Ive never shot anything like this but Im sure willing too give it a try. Being a .44 cal, I cant use it for hunting. I believe it has too be .45 or above here. It doesnt look like its a cheap toy, but heck, I got it free. I will have too buy a starter kit for it. I will look at gander mt. today.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:57 AM
Dominant Buck

If that's an original "Cattleman's Carbine" that's pretty interesting. It is made up ofa Remington 1858 black powder revolver, longer barrel, and a wooden stock. I have that same revolver without the stock and the longer barrel. I load 25 grains of Goex 3f and a .451 un patched roundball. I also use a wad on top of the powder charge. Accuracy is excellent but you're right about the power of the revolver, it might be lacking a little for big game hunting.

Although, with that longer barrel, if the deer were close, say 25 yards, I think a person could sneak a ball out of that into the right place and take one down. I'd have to reread that laws of our State. With an 18 inch barrel, then counting the cylinder length, that might actually be a legal huntingRIFLE in our State.It would be exciting to try and take one with somethinglike that.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:09 AM

how would one know if its a org. or not. it is in good shape, but isnt new and if it was my grandpas, it is older
Old 12-09-2006, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Need to retrieve the serial numbers& call Remington for further details. Go to remington.com & look for a contact phone number. Cabelas does not manufacture guns.

Old 12-09-2006, 09:20 AM
Dominant Buck

look close on the barrel for the words FLLippeta. That is what mine says. If the rifle says that, I can tell you it is not an original. And Original should be marked Remington I would think. Whether original or not, anything handed down by a grandfather is a treasure. Clean it well. Take a Q-tip put oil on it and cock the hammer back. Use that oil coated Q-tip and make sure you swab in that area with oil real good. That's where they like to rust.

You're going to be really surprised at how accurate these revolvers are. Yours especially with the longer stock and barrel.. keep us posted on how it shoots. They sure are a pain to clean though.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

cayugad,

I've a question. How useful is the barrel for the purpose of hold pressure to accelerate the ball? I mean. Once the ball enters the barrel is there a enough restriction between cylinder and barrel to keep the pressure elevated enough to significantly contribute to muzzle energy and velocity?
Old 12-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pglasgow, if you want to see something kind of interesting on the subject look up "force lines of an explosion" there is more to how black powder works than just pressure. Lee

Quick Reply: What the heck is this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.