Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Scopes on muzzleloaders... >

Scopes on muzzleloaders...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scopes on muzzleloaders...

Old 12-05-2006, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scopes on muzzleloaders...

How many of you think that it is a must to have a scope on a muzzleloader? just being curious. around here in Illinois in the area im in i dont kow one person that doesnt have a scope on their muzzleloader but me and i have those tru glo sights that i think work awsome. So whats everyones preference scope or no scope?
Old 12-05-2006, 11:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scopes on muzzleloaders...

I'll never not have a scope. I've got a Leupold VX 3 on my encore and I couldn't be any more happy with my results. I've got a great load in my gun and the scope is awesome. For deer hunting it's like Mike Tyson fighting and Infant.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since muzzleloader deer kills at 200 yards are becoming more & more common, then scopes increase the odds for a more humane, pain-free kill at distances over 100 yards.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:48 AM

no scopes here, illegal in mn
Old 12-06-2006, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

cant have scopes on ML's in WI but can have a red dot on them during muzzle loader season and during regular gun season you can have a standard scope mounted on your ML.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:55 AM
Fork Horn

I used to not hunt with scopes on any of my deer guns, since my maximum shot rarely gets beyond 75 yds. Last year when I purchased my CVA Wolf 209 / Beartooth, I placed I scope on it with the thought that if I was to not want a scoped gun, I could grab either my shotgun or my older inline. Five deer later, I have yet to use either of those guns. The only mistake I've made was not seeing a 1/2" branch, 6 ft in front of me. The bullet completelly cut the branch in half, but luckily stayed on path to find the deer!

Old 12-06-2006, 12:15 PM
Spike

I use a scope as I feel my encore is better then a shotgun during gun season, then again I dont have a scope on my shotgun. I use the scope to add more range if I needed to reach and touch a deer over 100yds.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:22 PM
Dominant Buck

I think to scope or not to scope is personal preference. Some people like scopes because it increases their ability to see better and hence, shoot better. As I say, if I can't see it, I can't shoot it. On my inline rifles I have scopes. I hunt with my scoped inline rifles during modern season, even though where I hunt we can use center fire rifles.

On my Traditional rifles I do not have scopes. Only because Wisconsin does not allow magnification during our muzzleloader season. I am tempted to put a 1X scope on my White for the muzzleloader season, and I have one inline with a RED DOT in it. There is really nothing wrong with scoped rifles, as I said.. personal choice. This year I shot a deer with a open sight but had it came in during my modern season, it would have been with a scoped inline rifle.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:50 PM

Okay, so go easy on me because I've only ever used an open sighted shotgun for hunting deer (less than 50 yard shots in thick woods) besides my bow. So if I buy and use a scope, which we can do during regular gun season, will it impede my ability to make close shots? Say 20 yards or less? Will I need something that releases quickly from the rifle so I can go back to my open sights?
Old 12-06-2006, 01:07 PM

ORIGINAL: chucker34

Okay, so go easy on me because I've only ever used an open sighted shotgun for hunting deer (less than 50 yard shots in thick woods) besides my bow. So if I buy and use a scope, which we can do during regular gun season, will it impede my ability to make close shots? Say 20 yards or less? Will I need something that releases quickly from the rifle so I can go back to my open sights?
Nope...Just practice shouldering the weapon and acquiring the target through the glass. I have a 3X on my crossbow and a 3-9X on the muzzleloader. I just set the scope on the lowest setting when I'm in the woods. All my shots, so far have been under 50 yds. I like the fact that I can better see twigs and branches and find holes to shoot through.

Quick Reply: Scopes on muzzleloaders...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.