HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Traditions Deer Hunter .50 cal thoughts (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/168677-traditions-deer-hunter-50-cal-thoughts.html)

2006HighSierra 12-05-2006 06:47 PM

Traditions Deer Hunter .50 cal thoughts

Just wondering what you guys think of this rifle, I have the opportunity to purchase a brand new one, nickel barrel, black syn. stock, truglo sights, etc for $75

frontier gander 12-05-2006 06:50 PM

RE: Traditions Deer Hunter .50 cal thoughts

For that price i'd easily buy it. Is it percussion or flintlock? $75 is a great deal on that rifle with a nickel barrel and optic sights. I own a traditions flintlock and its one of the best shooting rifles in my blackpowder stash.

cayugad 12-05-2006 07:16 PM

For that price it is kind of hard to go wrong. I admit I know nothing about the rifle you asked about, but the price is sure right.

2006HighSierra 12-05-2006 07:19 PM

it uses the caps

cayugad 12-05-2006 07:27 PM

I looked one up.. it has a 1-48 twist so it will shoot roundball and conicals well. Get some #11 caps. RWS or CCI MAGNUM caps are good. Also get some .490 roundball and patch along with about 80 grains of Pyrodex RS or Goex 2f and I think you will have a real good shooting rifle, more then able to take deer down with a lot of confidence. There is no reason with practice that rifle should not shoot a 4" group at 100 yards.

Good luck with your rifle.

frontier gander 12-05-2006 07:33 PM

Im betting he'll do better than 3" groups. On an average i get 2 1/2" groups at 100yards with my flintlock. Best groups i got so far is 1 1/2" groups and i backed it up the next week. But jeez, $75 for a new gun with nickel barrel and the truglo sights, the guy selling it for $75 is getting the shaft lol. I think you'll be very happy with that rifle.

cayugad 12-05-2006 07:51 PM

I am sure he will also, but I never tell someone to expect a 2" group. Then when they hit the range and shoot at 100 yards they can't seem to understand why everyone else claims to gets a 2" group and the best they pull off is a heavy 3". When I was younger I could shot some very impressive groups with open sights at 100 yards. I no longer make that claim. When I shoot even a 3" group, I feel I am really having a good day. Also, most of the people that tell me they shoot a 2" group with open sights seldom seem to have a good day when they hit the range with me. So I try to be more realistic in my estimations or guesstimations if you wish.

frontier gander 12-05-2006 08:01 PM

Yeah i understand that. The first time i shot that 1 1/2" group, that afternood i was shooting and couldnt get better than 8" groups at 50 yards! Turns out, when i got back inside i noticed the temp was 98* in the shade! It was well over 100* where i was shooting out in the open sun. My patchs were nothing but grease and oil. Later in theevening when it cooled into the mid 70's, i shot that 1 1/2" groups @ 100. Talk about being happy lol. If i ever have to hunt in the 90* weather i'll use dry patchs. Even my know it all brother in law can get great groups with my rifle. Im just having a hard time getting him to grow some balla's and take it muzzleloading lol. He enjoys my inline but i am having a hard time breakinghim from bouncing the ramrod on the bullet when its seated. That and him liking to use a hammer to adjust my sight when i forget the tool [:@].. But anyways, sorry to hijack your post Sierra!

Pglasgow 12-05-2006 09:49 PM

I'm with you cayugad. I feel completely satisfied with a 4" group (open sights)at 100 yards, especially, when the horizontal spread is in the 2" range. I honestly don't think I can consistently point better than 1 1/2 MOA anyway. Even so, its not unusual for me to occasionly see 3 shots touching in a 6 shot or more group. Because of this, just due to random possibility, every thing can come together for a3 shot group to have them inside 1" or 1 1/2". And while I am thrilled, I know its a perfect example of "a dog having his day". An average ofa number of 3 shot group sizes is a far betterrepresentation of precision than the best of the same number.

If 2006Sierra hits with amaximum 2" miss(4MOApattern)at 100 yards,its a very dead deer. But then, he will certainly try to achieve better precision.

Triple Se7en 12-06-2006 01:40 AM

I have the same exact one in 50-cal. It only had eight shots fired when I purchased it at a garage sale for $45. Owner said he lost two deer due to misfires. All it needed was a new nipple -- the factory nipple had an defective, enlarged flashole.

Mine is not fussy at all. It shoots a variety of 180-300 grain sabots well. 295 Powerbelts are tack-drivers at 100 yards. Same with either the 245 gr Buffalo Ballets or the 240 grain Hornady PA Conicals. None of my powder loads exceed 85 gr. 777. Actually that's a good thing about the mild powder loads because the Deerhunter ML recoils hard with 100 grains.

If you want an inexpensive inline, the CVABuckhorn $109 at Cabelas. Basspro.com has the Traditions Tracker at $99.