Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 @@-Bullet Found- @@- Don't OverDrive PowerBelts-Pics >

@@-Bullet Found- @@- Don't OverDrive PowerBelts-Pics

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

@@-Bullet Found- @@- Don't OverDrive PowerBelts-Pics

Old 12-04-2006, 09:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default @@-Bullet Found- @@- Don't OverDrive PowerBelts-Pics

Got this mediumsized doe last friday with a 45cal 275gr PowerBelt, pushed by 120grains of Shockey's Gold, and using the powerstem breech plug, 22 yards away in 20ft tree stand.

Wow, what a hole[]

These are the only fragments to make it thru the vitals to the other side:

Last year we only used 220g PB's and 80 grains of Shockey'sGold, and punched hules thru and thru.

Here are some picks of PB's that I recovered from the shooting range--Dry sandy clay, 112 yards: Left to right--275 grain--1st is 70 grains of powder, 2nd and 3rd are 120grains powder.

4th is 300grain Platinum and 120grains powder, 5th/last is 70 grains powder.

From now on, 70-80 grains of powder is all I use with PowerBelts

Very Good Info But - Don't need these Massive Wound pics to describe Bullet Performance.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Don't OverDrive PowerBelts-Pics

WOW!!! that is impressive. Great pictures. And a heck of a nice doe. That really makes a person think about using powerbelts. Great report... congratulations on the doe.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:52 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks Cayugad!

This was a Boom Flop!

And The next day I shot my first ever Coyote that came in after the gut Pile

Having it tanned and hung on the wall..Sweet!!
Old 12-04-2006, 09:53 PM
Fork Horn

That looks like a very tasty deer. Don't you love it when there is a hole like that. I was taught to aim at the shoulder and i learned that withaML you should aim behind the shoulder if you want any meat. I shot a doe one time and the only thing holding the shoulderon was a flap of skin.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome photos. Alot of the energy was discharged at the surface where the bullet entered. Alot of destruction there.

70 grains sure mushrooms beautifully. Nice pics. Seems everyone gets pass thrus with 70 to 80 grains. Great info.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:34 PM

Wow...I took almost the exact same shot on a small buck with a shockwave and got two tiny holes. Someone got to it before I did[:@]. That seriously makes me wanna hop in the car, travel to wally world and get some 295 grainers for the encore.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:28 PM

The two big pictures of the deer came up on my screen. The bullet photos did not. What did the Platinum Powerbelt look like? THx. JB
Old 12-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Roskoe, I'd say driven by 120 grains, they looked pretty close to the same. Kinda looked likestyrofoam thin cup shapes. But the examples driven by 70 grains looked like classic mushrooms. The Platinum I thought expanded less with 70 grains but I don't know if that is a fair assesment. I think the weights are different and I'm not sure how the terminal velocities of the two may have differed.

Phil
Old 12-05-2006, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

dude that's awesome. The only other bullets I've seen tear holes like that are Barnes Expanderz MZ's.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

great info and pictures..good job..

i shot a 8 point with 20 inch spread that weighted 180 pds..real heavy deer..

i used my hawkins .50 cal flintlock,80 grs of 2f,powerbelt 295 gr.

shot was 20 yds, behind shoulder and bullet came out both sides..hole was size of aknickel on side it went in and on the side it came out, it was size of quarter..

no HOLLOW point bullet is going to go thru a deer if it hits bone and is driven a high velocity..

if you are shooting a deer at 150 yds,i can see loading gun at high velocity but using a different bullet than the hollow point..

but for hunting i do,all shots are under 100 yds..by loading at 80 grs,i get NO KICK, NO FLINCH,LESS SMOKE, LESS NOISE AND BULLET GO THRU ..

no way i would shoot a hollow point bullet in 50 cal above 90 grs..

Quick Reply: @@-Bullet Found- @@- Don't OverDrive PowerBelts-Pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.