Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega +777= CRUD!

Old 12-04-2006, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Omega +777= CRUD!

ORIGINAL: Wheatley
You can get Black Mag 3 from a cabelas as well.
I thought Cabelas discontinued the BM3 powder around one year ago???
Old 12-04-2006, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess they could have. He bought a few bottles of it and I havn't looked for it for a while. I am still working on the last T7 can.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:21 PM
Typical Buck

Magkor had a lot of problems with distributors which is why they went factory direct. I doubt that Cabelas will have any for long. What is on the shelf is all they will have unless things change. With the present push from people like Doc White who just wrote a big note about how much he likes the Black Mag'3 it may get some of the distributors to change their approach and become a little more easy to deal with. Every one that has an Omega that I know has said the powder is made for the rifle. I know my Omega shoots better with it than anything other than Pyrodex which is too dirty for me but shoots great. I think development on the Omega was done with Pyrodex.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

MLKeith

Every one that has an Omega that I know has said the powder is made for the rifle. I know my Omega shoots better with it than anything other than Pyrodex
Well, I would have to disagree with the statement "everyone" I know of 5 of em up here that use T7 and they are working just fine in fact they have been pretty deadly to date.

I'm glad your experiance has been such a positive but I do not think you should condem T7 for others.

Magkor had a lot of problems with distributors which is why they went factory direct.
And a lot of those problems were the powders inherent ability to clump up as it gets old on the shelves of the dealers. One of the first things you needed to do was to shake the container and hope.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:21 PM

Cajun I had the same problem for several years. I recently switch to Remington clean shot primers and I also shoot hornaday xtp magsabots. I don't know if the combinations makes the difference or the primers. But last week I shot 12 consecutive shots without any trouble.I probably could have shot a lot more. Another thing to consider is the new clean powders. A friend call me the other day and said that he shot the shockey powder 15 times with no problems.We bothshoots50 cal omega's and had previous crud problems.He did say that he had to re-sight the gun after shooting the new powder. He thought that it was hotter and faster.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:54 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

MLKeith

Well, I would have to disagree with the statement "everyone" I know of 5 of em up here that use T7 and they are working just fine in fact they have been pretty deadly to date.

I'm glad your experiance has been such a positive but I do not think you should condem T7 for others.

And a lot of those problems were the powders inherent ability to clump up as it gets old on the shelves of the dealers. One of the first things you needed to do was to shake the container and hope.

Sorry; I didn't say everyone hated T7, I said (or at least I thought I said) everyone I know with an Omega loved Black Mag'3. The clumping was a problem early on although when broken up it shot just fine. I think that has been corrected now however. T7 is apparently great if your rifle will shoot it. There are a lot that won't, mine being one of those. I sincerely tried to use it with all the so called fixes. Just was not in the cards. Since the only powder most stores carry is Pyrodex and T7 I'm sure they sell a lot of it.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:43 AM

We are in the middle of our early muzzle loader season so I am sticking with the t7 for now.After it ends I'm going to try switching powders for the late season.I'd like to try the BM3 but don't really want to spend 100 bucks to see if it will work.A local gun store has some shockey gold,I may try that.Isn't that just a high dollar form of APP?

Thanks,
CB
Old 12-05-2006, 08:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

CAJUNBOWHNTR, Yes it is about the same differance as slect pyrodex select is to RS. Lee
Old 12-05-2006, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

Easiest thing to do right now would be to try some Winchester 777 primers... if you can find them.

Out of my SS Omega I shoot 120gr of loose 777 2f and a 250gr Shockwave. Last year I used to use the Remington Kleanbore primers and did have a bit of issue w/ the crud ring...loading was all but impossible after the 2nd shot.

This year I switched to the Winchester 777 primers and the crud ring issue is non-existant. I can load 5 shots in a row w/o swabbing and not have an issue and no change in impact point. I'm getting 2.5"-3" groups at 150yds w/ this setup. I've been extremely impressed w/ this gun/setup since using this load.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

You might also try some Pinnicle powder. I think cayugad has had some excellent results with it. I can't remember how many shots he had before swabbing, but it was alot. As mentioned there is also APP and Blackmag3powders. Some guns don't like the APP fffg powder. I haven't heard of many problems with the APP ffg. You will just have to try different things and see what your gun likes. Ihaven't heard of any crud ring problems withPinnicle, APP, and Blackmag3 powders. I have a lot of 777 ffg, so I will be swabbing between shots until I use it up. Thinking about joining one of the local gun clubs so I can have access when everybody and their brother isn't there!! Maybe I can use it up quicker then!!!

Like KBacon, I have also used the 777 primers and they do seem to help with the crud ring.