HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   cva wolf is it good starter gun (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/168105-cva-wolf-good-starter-gun.html)

wazzy 12-02-2006 05:22 PM

cva wolf is it good starter gun

found a cva wolf that has been shot 2 times it comes with everything to go from shop to range all bullets caps etc. its in .50cal im wondering what my max reach would be . the guy wants $200. please let me know what you guys think . i want to get into black powder hunting cause im tired of the B.S. that shotgun hunting is becoming.

HeavyDutyWonk 12-02-2006 06:41 PM

RE: cva wolf is it good starter gun

The Wolf is a fine starter gun its what I have and I like it. You can pick them up brand new for $140 at Wallmart I have even seen them in complete starter kits for under $200, there are a few other brands that offer complete starter kits in that price range as well and if you are willing to spend a little more you can get your self a nicer one. If you have a local sport shop I would recomend you go handle and feal the different brands and models find the one that fits you the best then go looking for the best price on that model. Being new to muzzleloading I'm sure some other guys here on this forum will tell you not to go with a CVA, all I can say to that is, I am happy with mine.
Good luck to you what ever route you take:)

Triple Se7en 12-02-2006 06:44 PM

I seen the Wolf today for $127 + tax. If he wants $200 for a slightly used gun, then his accessories should be worth another $100.

Do the math before you purchase it.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_218/products_id/16584

cayugad 12-02-2006 08:21 PM

I think the person is a little out of line. Especially with the new ones selling for A LOT LESS MONEY! Not only that, ask yourself why he wants to sell it in the first place. Maybe the rifle is not what he wants or not as accurate as what he anticipated. I think before I would spend that kind of money on a used one, I would simply get a new one if the WOLF is what I wanted. If you're not in a hurry for a rifle, keep your eyes open. After hunting season is when all the sales really start happening.

Pglasgow 12-03-2006 07:54 AM

ORIGINAL: wazzy

found a cva wolf that has been shot 2 times it comes with everything to go from shop to range all bullets caps etc. its in .50cal im wondering what my max reach would be . the guy wants $200. please let me know what you guys think .
My Walmart has the Wolf for $109.00, right now, all bullets and powderare sold out, but Rem Kleanbore primers are $3, Range rod $3.50, and numerous other essential, brand new, for about 40% retail. Sounds like this guy want you to rescue him from hispurchase (maybe to replace new with another discounted wolf and discounted accessories).

Primitive Weapon 12-03-2006 08:27 AM

ORIGINAL: wazzy

found a cva wolf that has been shot 2 times it comes with everything to go from shop to range all bullets caps etc. its in .50cal im wondering what my max reach would be . the guy wants $200. please let me know what you guys think . i want to get into black powder hunting cause im tired of the B.S. that shotgun hunting is becoming.
Gander Mtn had a blue barrell / camo stock starter package for the CVA Optima for $179

Pglasgow 12-03-2006 08:39 AM

Is it just me, or would anyone trust the representation that the rifle was fired only twice? How do you sight in a rifle with only two shots? I've never made the trip to the range to only shoot twice. Who knows, maybe he couldn't stand the recoil. Or maybe its been to the range twice?

Triple Se7en 12-03-2006 08:48 AM

ORIGINAL: Pglasgow

Is it just me, or would anyone trust the representation that the rifle was fired only twice? How do you sight in a rifle with only two shots? I've never made the trip to the range to only shoot twice. Who knows, maybe he couldn't stand the recoil. Or maybe its been to the range twice?
I have read posts where Wolf shooters using 150 grains found recoil brutal/unmanageable. Personally, I am exempt from feeling too much recoil from a muzzleloader. Just doesn't bother me at all.

Butrecoil bothers alot of shooters - especially new, youngshooters with no family hunting or militarybackground. We need to remind ourselves that today's society is loaded with one/single parent homes -- with a majority of those being supervised by the mother.... a typical non-gun user.

Stiff recoil scares somes folks - enough to where they sell the guns. I'm not saying this is what happened here. But I wouldn't be surprised to find out it did.

petasux 12-03-2006 09:16 AM

Ive got a Wolf, its actually a suprisingly accurate little gun for no more then I paid for it.I sighted mine in with the scope a couple weeks ago, it was shooting 3 shot groups you could cover up with one thumb at about 80 yrds, at close to 100 yrds with the last shot I made I managed to blow the deadbolt off the old junk door I was using as a backstop.Its about 1 1/2, maybe a 2 inch target.I fired it I believe 9 times without swabbing the barrel out and had no trouble reloading it or having it affect the accuracy of the gun.I was actually quite impressed, it shot better then my knight with a 75 grn charge of 777 and 250 grn shockwaves.More suprising still cuz Im really not that good of shot:D

Personally I wouldnt buy the one your buddy has.The only reason I even picked this one up was after season last year Walmart clearanced them, I gave a grand total of I believe 69$ for the gun, put another 40 in for the scope and mounts and have a nice shooting little ML for around 110$ total.If you can wait get one on clearance, if you cant theres better quality inlines you can pick up for 200$ IMO.Ive owned CVAs before and while they shoot ok you still get what you pay for in terms of quality.

Pglasgow 12-03-2006 09:28 AM

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

We need to remind ourselves that today's society is loaded with one/single parent homes -- with a majority of those being supervised by the mother.... a typical non-gun user.
The demographics are definitely changing and sentiment about gun ownership, use, and game harvest are changing as well. My brother and I planned to introduce his step-son to hunting this year. He drew a cow elk and we purchase a leftover doe for him. We saw thathe attended and successfully completed his hunter-safety training. He was very excited about going and enjoyed the trips to the range for practice. He liked the traditional MLrifle best and I actually thought he would chose it with prb to hunt for his doe.

But as hunting season approached, his mother began voicing objections. The boy is 14, and she thought the act of "murdering" a deer would "tramautize" his young mind, and wouldultimately turn him into a "criminal".

I just about threw up when my brother told me what she thought about hunting, hunting weapons, and hunters. My brother, in spite of his efforts, was not able to clear it with her and unfortunately, his step-son was not allowed to hunt. Sad thing is, he really wanted to, and has a healthy and appropriate understanding of what hunting is and what safe and responsible gun handling and ownership is. I just hope the efforts which were made to teach him honorable traditions are not poisoned by her morbid opinions.