Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 how good are CVA's >

how good are CVA's

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

how good are CVA's

Old 11-27-2006, 03:57 PM
Spike

Default how good are CVA's

just wondering what your opinion was on CVA's muzzleloaders. I personally loved how they feel and fit me. but was wondering if there is more difference b/t the optima pro and the optima other than barrel lenght. is 29 that much better than 26. for this year i will be using just open sights, but next year will be scoped. are the accurate guns and at long distances, 200yds? also do they use a plastic jacketed primer and is it easily removed. can you load a full 150 grains in them, or what load combinations have worked best for you. thanks for your help.

[/align]
Old 11-27-2006, 04:25 PM

Default RE: how good are CVA's

A lot of people on here own cva's and are very pleased with them. I own a winchester x-150 and i owned a cva staghorn and i cant complain about either of them. Both the guns u asked about are good rifles. Both can shoot 150 grain mag loads but most guns do better with the 100-130 grain area. You'll find that either powerbelts or sabots shoot great, Powerbelts being #1 in my book due to them being simple to load. The 29" barrel will give your powder a little more time to burn cleaner. My winchester shot great groups at 150 yards, i dropped 2 deer from 148 and 146 with open sights, 150 grains pyrodex rs and 295 grain aerotip powerbelt. They do not use the plastic primer cups which is a good thing. Less money to spend lol. CVA recommends 100-130 grains powder for the most accuracy. As for bulle weights, when u buy the gun u just have to buy one kind, try it and if its working and grouping good, stick with it. I now use 120 grains pyro rs and 295 powerbelt. A gun will only be accurate if you do your job behind it.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:25 PM

I would say to buy either an NEF Sidekick or T/C Encore or similar over that gun. It's just my opinion.

Anyways, I would go for the 26 inch barrel personally. The 29 might be slightly more accurate but I like short guns better. It's just personal preference. I can't help any further because I haven't had enough experience with them.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:40 PM
Spike

thanks for the help so far, as far as the primer goes it just sits on the nipple by itself, does it just fall out after its shot?

[/align]
Old 11-27-2006, 04:56 PM

Im not sure if it has an ejecter for the primer. Most muzzleloaders that are break open require your thumb and index finger or finger nail to slide it out. You really should pull the primer after u shoot and then reload. Its not really a big deal either way.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:26 PM

I bought the Optima Pro about 5 weeks ago and Iam shooting the 245gr Powerbelt with 100gr of T7.Iam very pleased with the way the gun shoots this combination.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am shooting a CVA 209 kodiak and truely love this gun,may not be the
most expenisve but shoots and handles well,would buy another in a New
York second!
Old 11-27-2006, 07:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Some complain about the spanish barrels but I thought they were the highest quality part in a CVA; as in many things you pay for quality and service[warrenty] get the best you can afford they have all gotten better as the years have gone by. Lee
Old 11-27-2006, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

I own a CVA kodiak 50cal. magnum. If you buy one get one that say magnum, if you want to shoot 150gr. My Kodiak loves sabot combos, it shoots great out to 150 yardswith open sight, I get very consistant groups. I would buy another if I need to. I love my CVA, got my biggest buck with a muzzy this year....
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1819457
Old 11-27-2006, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

this is gonna be the first year hunting with my optima .50 and i shoot well at 100 yards...

i like how the barrels arent the price of new guns. i plan on getting a .45 29" barrel for it.

Quick Reply: how good are CVA's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.