Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Knight bolt action rifle users, HELP!! >

Knight bolt action rifle users, HELP!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight bolt action rifle users, HELP!!

Old 11-25-2006, 10:01 AM

Default Knight bolt action rifle users, HELP!!

Okay, I guess that I will try asking for any possible input from users of the Knight bolt action rifles. Any likes, dislikes on the design. I am not having any problems in my town and on-line getting all of the info I can use on the T/C Pro Hunters. The salesman at my shop has said that I would be a fool to go with anything other than the new Pro Hunter. Although they have not been around for very long, he tells me that they are the only choice for serious muzzleloading. He carries the Knight brand but not the bolt style, so I cannot compare. Knight owners this is your chance to play salesman and tell me about your Knights. I am open to all info, The good, the bad, the ugly

Thanks,
Mike Roda
Old 11-25-2006, 10:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Knight bolt action rifle users, HELP!!

Mike -

I own two Knights. A Wolverine LK-II which is an older model pull cock rifle that works off a hammer/striker, and a Knight Disc. The Knight Disc of course uses the primer holders.

Advantages/Disadvantages of the Knight Disc when hunting...

#1 no tools needed to load and unload the 209 primer like some rifles
#2 primers are easy to carry.. slip five or six in a pants pockets and your good to go
#3 primers actually help water proof the breech plug area. On the commercial they show a hunter dropping his rifle is a lake, digging it out, pouring the water out the barrel and it still fires. Well I never tried that, but I've never had a misfire either.
#4 Knight Rifles have Green Mountain Rifle Barrels which are known for their quality and accuracy
#5 Stock design on my Disc rifle makes even heavy charges comfortable to shoot
#6 because of the stock design this rifle is very well balanced
#7 excellent adjustable trigger (although I never had to adjust mine)

Disadvantage -

#1 my laminated stock is heavy. It might get heavy after a day of hauling it around. But then what rifle does not.

Clean Up of the Knight Bolt rifles

#1 (On mine) remove the bolt locking screw.
#2 using the bolt C-tool (mine is an older model .. the new models do not require a C-tool) insert it into the back safety area of the bolt. Turn it and take the pressure off the spring. The bolt now comes out the rifle and unscrew for easy to clean access.
#3 remove the Timney Trigger, spray it out with solvent and dry. A little oil and its good to go.
#4 remove the breech plug and clean it like any of the other rifles you will purchase.
#5 to assemble just reverese the steps.

Some people do not like the disc aspect of the rifle. On the target range, I will admit I do not like having to load and unload (to reuse) the discs. But it is part of the rifle so I live with it. There really is nothing bad I can say about the Knight. Both of mine are very accurate rifles...
Old 11-25-2006, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have both. The Knight in my opinion is a better rifle. I just bought a new Encore with the left handed thumbhole stock. I have not had time to put it through trials yet, but I will. I also ordered a left handed thumbhole for my Knight rifle. I am going to have alot of funshooting these two rifles in January. I will try to compare the two for you, on a scale of 1 to 10.

ACCURACY: Knight-9 Encore-8

EASE OF ATTAINIG ACCURACY: Knight-10 Encore-3
(how much time to work up a good load)

EASE OF LOADING ADDITIONAL SHOTS: Knight-8 Encore-1

EASE OF CLEANING: Knight-8 Encore-10

LOADING PRIMERS: Knight-6 Encore-10
(I do not mind the discs-some do)

WEIGHT OF RIFLE: Knight-8 Encore-5

PRICE: Knight-8 Encore-5

VERSATILITY OF OTHER BARRELS: Knight-0 Encore-10

TRIGGER: Knight-9 Encore-5

SUMMATION: Knight-66 Encore-57

IMHO the Pro-Hunter is a sales gimmick to attain all the profit that TC can milk out of their advertising money. The rifle is overpriced-but itis true American high quality. The standard Encore is very hard to beat. The extras are not worth the money. I like both of my rifles, but I normally reach for the Knight for my serious hunting. Tom.

Old 11-25-2006, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cayugad-I use an electrical connector cleaner to clean my trigger on my Knight. I then use compressed air, and blow everything out. I like the electrical cleaner, because it is supposed to dry without leaving any residue. What type of oil do you put back on the trigger? I have never put any oil back on my trigger. Do you think I should be putting oil back on the trigger? Tom.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:14 AM
Dominant Buck

I use Birchwood Casey Sheath for almost all my gun protection.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:14 AM

I have been hunting with the Knight Extreme since it came out in '02. I bought an Omega in '04 and while it isn't the same it is similar enough.

Easy answer, go with the Knight. The Omega isn't much easier to clean and in some cases is worse. Also with a Knight Extreme it's ready to go as is. The Omega/Encore should be outfitted with a 25 ACP breechplug for an additional $60, IMO. It's probably not as neccisary with an EncorebutI've had serious issues with blowback getting underneath the barrel with the Omega. With an Extreme it's not possible. With the 25 ACP the differences between the Extreme and the Omega are less. If anything I like the plastic jacket better since it's easier to deal with.

I agree with Head0001 about the ease of working up a load. My Omega is extremely picky. My Knight will shoot most anything well.

I haven't hunted with my Omega but once (the year I bought it) while my Extreme has gone every yearthat I've ownedit. In the end that's what it boils down to for me.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:21 AM

Thanks a million Cayugad & Head0001,
That is the most info that I have been able to come up with so far. Very, very much appreciated!
Keep the info coming, I plan on making my final decision Monday. I need to let my dealerknow either way so that he can order the Knight & also get my lay-away Pro Hunter into the hands of the next eager buyer. There will be no more available from T/C until they get caught up. The thing that I like most of the Knight so far is that from what I can come up with, the bolt action Knight has been around for quite a few years, I like that!

Thanks again,

Mike
Old 11-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Check Sportsman's Guide.. they had some excellent prices on the Knight rifles.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/browse/browse.asp?c=3

it might save you a few dollars.. I don't know.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:28 AM

Thanks Wolfhound76,
My decision is becoming much easier. One question, do the Knight rifles work okay with the 209 primers or do they need to be modded down?
Keep the info coming, positive or negative, my decision is almost made.

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 11-25-2006, 11:44 AM

Cayugad,
Thanks for the idea on the Sportsmans guide. I wish that I had found this forum before I put the Pro Hunter on lay-away. I know that my dealer will not refund my $580.00 in full. I will have to have him order it in for me. When I was asking them about the Knight Long Range or Extreme. He was trying to push the Revoloution II or the Evoloution. When I told him that I was only interested in the bolt action models that he did not stock. He kept pushing the Pro Hunter, they only had one left so I grabbed it at the time.
I don't even mind the extra money, although it would have come in handy for extra items. I just want to make sure that I get the best gun with a good history.

I sent you an e-mail this morning asking you about your Knight & my concerns with the P.H. Maybe it is lost in the tube some where!

Thanks,
Mike

Quick Reply: Knight bolt action rifle users, HELP!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.