Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Backup Muzzleloader >

Backup Muzzleloader

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Backup Muzzleloader

Old 11-21-2006, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Backup Muzzleloader

Hey guys,

I'm considering getting a back up muzzleloader. What would you suggest for around $250. Only constraint is that it has to be inline.

I'm getting this so when my cousins come up here to hunt that I'd have a back up. I just don't think I'd let anyone hunt with my baby. You can look but don't touch.

Thanks

Tom
Old 11-21-2006, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Backup Muzzleloader

statjunk: you know you're going to get a couple dozen different opinions on this, so why don't you just get what you're already thinking of?
Seriously, from what I've read, it sounds like one of the Traditions models might be an inexpensive way to go. If you could find a used Omega, that might also be a good choice.

EDIT: Since you're in Michigan, you might check this site out: http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/813usedblkpowderguns.htm
I just looked at it, and see they have quite a few BP guns in the price range you're looking for. I also gave them a quick call and they said they take orders over the phone and ship direct.

Good Luck
Old 11-21-2006, 02:05 PM

easy for 250 an omega Z5 299 at BPS and you get starter kit thingy with it great deal..
Old 11-21-2006, 06:46 PM

You could get an Omega for that price in blue/black and not be disappointed. Otherwise get the NEF Sidekick or the more expensiveKnight Revolution.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

If there are any gun shows near you, look for a used one for sale by someone walking around the show. You can usually pick up a nice older model prety reasonable.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:34 PM
Dominant Buck

There are two ways to look at a Back up muzzleloader. Is this going to be a rifle that sits on the shelf and is only shot once in a great while, or are you going to do a lot of range time and maybe if the mood hits hunt with it yourself.

If this is just shelf furniture, then there is no need to spend money on it. Get something that will shoot reasonable to 100 yards with a moderate load. Almost any of the inexpensive rifles will do this. After all if this is a loner, we are not out there to equip them with the very best.

If this is something you might want to use, then I would watch the sales and try to find an Omega at the end of season, or a Sidekick, or something perhaps in the traditional lines on an auction site. All of these will get the job done, and be fun to own and shoot.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is the Omega have the trigger assembly that drops out fo the gun. I believe it is called falling block or something like that. What are the ups and downs of this design?

I tend to like things that are kept simple so less will go wrong.

This will likely be shelf furniture and not a go to. I have a pretty nice BP rifle that I like and has a name.

At the same time this will be used by family and I want it to be good, accurate and reliable. If they come up here to see me they will be going through a lot of expense. Not to mention as has been said many times before this is a decent excuse to buy another rifle.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Jaybe,

Thanks for looking into that for me. I've heard of Williams many times before but I've never been in thier shop. I'm kind of leaning towards the knight revolution because I just love my knight. I guess since I'm not in a rush I'd like to get some opinions first.

Thanks

Tom
Old 11-22-2006, 07:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Well getting opinions first just shows you take this matter seriously. The Knight would be a good choice. I really have no information on the Revolution. Some of the older Knights like the Disc, Wolverine, Bighorn are all excellent choices and can be found very reasonable. They are shooters. Don't let their bolt design or pull cock hammer design scare you away from them. Since this is for family members and quality is important, I think your idea of waiting for sales is a good one. I do not own the Omega you ask about,and probably never will. After getting my White, I am done buying inlines. I found what I want.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:43 AM
Typical Buck

I have the omega no problems good shooter Midway USA has the z 5 for 260.00 and free shipping that is a low as I have seen new ones. I also own the NEF sidekick about 149 to 200 at walmart that is also a quality american ,made gun
Old 11-22-2006, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Well getting opinions first just shows you take this matter seriously. The Knight would be a good choice. I really have no information on the Revolution. Some of the older Knights like the Disc, Wolverine, Bighorn are all excellent choices and can be found very reasonable. They are shooters. Don't let their bolt design or pull cock hammer design scare you away from them. Since this is for family members and quality is important, I think your idea of waiting for sales is a good one. I do not own the Omega you ask about,and probably never will. After getting my White, I am done buying inlines. I found what I want.
Could you tell me more about the white? How much? I think I've heard it mentioned that they no longer sell them so where could I get one? Do you have a pic of yours?

Thanks

Tom

Quick Reply: Backup Muzzleloader

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.