Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 couple questions about #11 caps >

couple questions about #11 caps

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

couple questions about #11 caps

Old 11-15-2006, 06:02 PM

Default RE: couple questions about #11 caps

these are cci caps I picked up one tin. I went out this evening and put 15 rounds through it. out of the 15 I had to hit the cap 2x on all but 3 of them. So tonight I am going to tear into the bolt and polish the nipple and see what I get.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:42 AM

I bought 2 new nipples and tried them out yesterday but they are a hair shorter than the original one that came with the rifle. I could not get the cap to go off with these nipples the firing pin hits them but does not break open the cap on the inside so they dont light off. it seems like I need to find a longer nipple to get the cap a little closer to the firing pin or get the breech plug not to seat so deep.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

I had the same problem with my remington 700 ml. The first shot seemed to seat the cap on the nipple, the next shot would fire the cap. I called local gun shop and so happened a man that worked there had the same rifle,and had the same problem with the caps. He suggested buying remington #11 caps they fit a little looser than the cci. Also to take nipple out of rifle and lightly sand outside of nipple to try and get it to seat better. Well after sanding a couple times and the looser caps,I tested it 10 caps in a row and all went off. I have not had a problem with it since. I would sand down the the longer original nipple and give it a try.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:13 PM

Did you take the mainspring out and stretch it about one-quarter inch?
Old 11-19-2006, 09:49 AM

yes I stretched the main spring with out any improvement. I am going to work on sanding down the nipple some next and see if that helps.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

mr onmyway,

I'd give the nipple a good inspection. If the rifle has been dry fired much, then the top of the nipple will be bulged a little. Enough anyway that the cap may not be seating on the tip of the nipple.(Like maybe the first try compresses it to the nipple tip and the second fires it.)

I'd look there first and try a new nipple if its bulged any at the tip. They are a $1 at Walmart right now.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:57 AM

Sorry that your gun does not work. Does the firing pin protrude enough? Some of the CVA guns have a veryshort firing pin. Are musket caps legal where you hunt? If they are you might try a musket cap nippleand caps.