Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 240 GR. vs 300 GR, XTP >

240 GR. vs 300 GR, XTP

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

240 GR. vs 300 GR, XTP

Old 11-18-2007, 10:32 PM

Default RE: 240 GR. vs 300 GR, XTP

I'll be using the high shoulder shot this year. I used the behind the shoulder shot last year and consequently had another hunter put their tag on the buck. Here's a little article about a study done in South Carolina. The study involved shot placement and how far deer ran. Out of a little over 400 deer the average distance ran for a heart hit is 39yds, lungs 50yds, guts 69yds, and shoulder 3yds. http://www.scilowcountry.org/cedar_knoll_deer_study.htm
Old 11-18-2007, 11:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I were getting those results I would definitely go tothe heavier bullet, Just make sure you keep your accuracy with the 300 grainer.To me a blood trail is insurance. That is why I really like full sized conicals. If you haven't tried full sized flat nosed conicals they are very effective. The .460 gr. bullet I use punches through the deer as if it were a cardboard target. I've only shot two deerwith that bullet, but bothshots left an easy 40's yard red trail to a dead deer. One was a double rib behind the shoulder shot, and the other took out the shoulder on the opposite side.

C. Davis
Old 11-19-2007, 02:53 AM
Fork Horn

My guns are flintlocks with 24" and 28" barrels so I have to use real black powder; My rifles are 1/28 twist and shoot the .452 250 and 300 grain xtp's really well. They shoot much better with Goex 2f than 3f so my velocity is only around 1500 fps. with 90-100 grain charges but they are very accurate.

Anyway; I have taken 1 deer so far with the rifle shooting 100 grains of Goex 2f and the .452 300 grainer at about 65-70 yards. The shot went thru ahead of the front shoulder and out behind the off shoulder. If I must brag; it was a perfect shot placement under the conditions. The deer went down faster than a New York parking ticket. There was not alot of bloodshot meat but the exit was about the size of a quarter and I want a bullet to exit. This one did and believe the 300 grainer to be a better choice if you want full penetration.

I shot some Swiss powder yesterday in attempts to boost the velocity a little but it didn't group nearly as well as the Goex 2f so I am staying with it. Next I am going to try some 300 grain Speer Gold dots and if they group well they will be my load for this season. There really isn't that much difference in trajectory between the 250-300 grainers in my opinion; but I am only shooting out to 125 yards.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

i have used the .430 240 grain XTP bullet since igot back into muzzleloading in2000.It has worked very well for me on deer; most have been bang flops. It has also killed many dozens of hogs for me; most of them were bang flops too. A fully grown hog is much harder to kill than a whitetail deer.My shots are picked very carefully and the bullet goes where it is supposed to. In my experience; sometimes they exit and sometimes they do not exit,neither matters to me.

If an exit hole is important to you, then use the .45 caliber 240 grain XTP Magnum bullet. A friend uses them and there is always an exit.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

The .452, 300 grain XTP is ALL that I use. Never had a deer go farther than 20 yards. Always good blood, most drop on the spot. The Hornady sabot is a little tighter than the T/C version. I was very disappointed with the SST's performance, no blood, no expansion (even thru both shoulders). The XTP or Gold Dots would be your best bets. My best 3 shot group at 100 yards was a little over 3/4 inch.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ridge Runner, Please dont tell the deer around here that. I have been getting bang flops every since I started using 250gr Gold Dots and 110777 or 120 RS and I shoot them 3 or 4 inches above the heart where the ganglion center and the arterys are all together and go through both lungs, I used to shoot them in the same place with the same result with my 54 hawken and a round ball. Lee
Old 11-19-2007, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: keyshunter

I have been using T/C Mag sabots with 240 grain XTP's. I have shot 5 deer with that bullet, at ranges from 35 to 95 yards. All have been chest shots and not one gave any sign of being hit. Every deer traveled at least 80 yards after the shot. All were recovered, and none of the bullets penetrated the animal and blood trail (if any) was very sparce, and close to the place the deer was found.

Thefifthdeer, an average 8 point buck, was shot the other day. Shot at about 35 yards, he gave absolutely no sign of being hit. There was a small amount of hair at theplace he was shot and not a drop of blood could be found except right at the place he was found--about 125 yards (and 2 hours)away in one of the thickest, most briar infested places onmy farm. Shot was broadside behind the right shoulder, the bullet stopped under the hide on the left side. Shot a a downward angle, the chest cavity was filled with blood, but none seemed to leak out. The bullet mushroom was very pretty (as were all the others) , but I would like to find a bullet that would--at least onbroadside shots--penetrate the animal. Load was 100 grains Pyrodex pellets. Would a 300 grain XTP give better penetration? If not, what would you recommend?
Yes. More energy. 300g XTP, Nosler Partition HG or Speer Gold Dot. All three are good and shoot thru a deer. Chap Gleason