HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Why isn't Black Powder considered a Fire Arm??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/164401-why-isnt-black-powder-considered-fire-arm.html)

atcfisherman 11-10-2006 03:36 PM

Why isn't Black Powder considered a Fire Arm???

Last month when I was at Bass pro shops, I noticed a guy buying a black powder rifle without a back ground check. I asked the salesman what's up with that and he said they are not considered a fire arm.Huh???????? Is this everywhere or what.

Then while I was at my deer lease the other day, I noticed a guy hunting with a black powder rifle and asked why he doen't just wait for BP season and hunt with a deer rifle. He said he has a conviction on his record from about 20 years ago and could not use a fire arm, but could use a BP. Nothing against this guy and he is even a very nice new christian man, but I am confused, which doesn't take much. Any thoughts??????

bigcountry 11-10-2006 03:43 PM

RE: Why isn't Black Powder considered a Fire Arm???

How many crimes have you seen in the US with black powder rifles? That should answer your question in short order.

Triple Se7en 11-10-2006 03:43 PM

Don't make any waves please. If enough folks find good-enough reasons to change that law with suggestions here, then that's bad news for ML purchasers. Just be thankful it's nota firearm& leave "well-enough" alone.

Sharp Shooter 11-10-2006 04:50 PM

That is a good thing. If we ever get our firearms taken away we will still have muzzleloaders for protection!!!

Wolfhound76 11-10-2006 06:03 PM

ORIGINAL: atcfisherman

Last month when I was at Bass pro shops, I noticed a guy buying a black powder rifle without a back ground check. I asked the salesman what's up with that and he said they are not considered a fire arm.Huh???????? Is this everywhere or what.

Then while I was at my deer lease the other day, I noticed a guy hunting with a black powder rifle and asked why he doen't just wait for BP season and hunt with a deer rifle. He said he has a conviction on his record from about 20 years ago and could not use a fire arm, but could use a BP. Nothing against this guy and he is even a very nice new christian man, but I am confused, which doesn't take much. Any thoughts??????
They are firearms. The BATF classifies them as antique firearms. Antique firearms are exempted from the federal background checks. Some states have further restrictions on them. My home state of Illinois, for example, requires the yellow form and background check with a 24 hour waiting period. Someone transfering a muzzleloader in state without first checking an ILFOID card commits a class 4 felony.

FrankS 11-10-2006 06:41 PM

In the NJ both ML's, air rifles and even BB guns are considered firearms. You need a Firearms ID card and call to the State Police to purchase the Red Ryder Carbine Lever Action BB Gun or the Benelli Super Black Eagle. Don't even ask about hand guns.

cayugad 11-10-2006 06:44 PM

I was going to say, this law varies from State to State. As it is, I am more then happy with the current way it works in Wisconsin.

alsaqr 11-10-2006 06:47 PM

The felon who purchased a muzzleloader is asking for jail time. The mere possession of the powder or bullet in some states whould get him back into jail.

Some BP guns requireFBI insta-check. The T/C Encore can usehighpower rifle and shotgun barrels and requires the check.

atcfisherman 11-10-2006 07:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

Don't make any waves please. If enough folks find good-enough reasons to change that law with suggestions here, then that's bad news for ML purchasers. Just be thankful it's not a firearm & leave "well-enough" alone.
I'm not trying to make any waves. Just didn't know after seeing that guy buy one without the check. I looked up on line what the Texas laws says and they are not considered a modern firearm but a antique firearm and thus does not require a back ground check. It also said that a felon can use a black powder rifle in Texas if it is not a rimfire and has to be something like a replica or something else that I didn't understand. Not sure since I know very little about them.

Also in Texas, a BB gun and pellet gun are not considered a fire arm since there is not explosion created to move the bullet.

Anyway, thanks for the info. Now I know why here in Texas anyone can go purchase a ML.

alsaqr 11-10-2006 07:27 PM

Felons and B/P guns in Wyoming-Do not do it.

The link:

kgwn.tv/home/headlines/3247286