Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Good cheap ML

Old 11-06-2006, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default Good cheap ML

What is a good cheap muzzle loader to buy?
How is the CVA Wolf for $179.00?

Any other suggestions?
Old 11-06-2006, 03:41 PM

Default RE: Good cheap ML

i think cabelas sells the cva wolf for $139, Im going to be buying my nephew one for christmas and get him into hunting.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bird Hunt Dog

cayugad found this one...

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5019

Have any of you seen this rifle advertised in Sportman's Guide Magazine. I was just sent the catalog. I can not decide if this is a Remington Genesis or something else. It looks "interesting" but not for me. The actiion swings to the side, that's why the Genesis came to mind. For the price $149.00 it might make a good starter rifle for someone that is not concerned about the quality of the barrel they shoot. AND I DO NOT MEAN THAT LAST STATEMENT TO START A DISCUSSION. I am just saying, Traditions have the Spanish barrels. Some find that unacceptable is all.
http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Browse.asp?Category=Muzzleloaders%3A+Yukon+Brop% 2DBreech+Action+%28In+Lines%29

Old 11-06-2006, 05:57 PM
Dominant Buck

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=298018 This is where I first came across the Tradition's Yukon. I know nothing about the rifle, but it appears to be on the line of the Remington Genesis from the pictures, for a lot less money.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:49 PM

I have a CVA wolf magnum, bought it at wallmart last year for $130.
I am very happy with it so far.
Happy shopping, we all need more guns, right.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bird Hunt Dog

Any other suggestions?
Can't speak to the Wolf, haven't shot it. I've owned two CVA: Staghorn and Buckhorn. Both are good, the newer one is excellent. It is accurate, with a very good trigger. I've killed three deer with it this year. Got it for about $75 post-season sale last year; you can get them for $99 at Walmart, I think, now.

Load it up with 90gr powder and 240gr XTP, and go kill deer.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bird Hunt Dog

Any other suggestions?
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=null-cat20815&id=0027233215447a&navCount=2& podId=0027233&parentId=cat20815&masterpath id=&navAction=push&catalogCode=XG&rid= &parentType=index&indexId=cat20815&has JS=true
Old 11-07-2006, 12:46 PM

As I've already stated, I think the Traditions Yukon is the Remington Genesis with a different name and some cheaper stuff. The Genesis is made for Remington by Traditions. I recommend the NEF Sidekick over any of those though. That's my opinion. It's a much better gun for the money.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:28 PM

Im for the H& R Sidekick (NEF) I own one, the price isfair and the gun is amazing for the price...AMERICAN MADE too.
No offense to anyone who owns a CVA but the Sidekick kicks their ass.
I shoot 100g. of Triple 7 pellet formand 250 gr. Shockwaves bonded.

I clean every other shot and have no problems grouping shots consistantly.
Im using mine throughout rifle season and muzzleloader season here in Missouri starting next Saturday.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:57 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: dustin78
No offense to anyone who owns a CVA but the Sidekick kicks their ass.
Interesting to hear. Is this personal experience? What CVA did you own, and what does the NEF Sidekick do better?

Quick Reply: Good cheap ML

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.