Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 54cal Roundball vs 58cal Roundball >

54cal Roundball vs 58cal Roundball

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

54cal Roundball vs 58cal Roundball

Old 10-30-2006, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 54cal Roundball vs 58cal Roundball

You guys know that I have a 54cal Renegade that my grandpa gave me and it is shooting good. I want to be a PRB shooter and it is doing that. I have had problems with this barrel like pitting (I think), and I think it could be bulged. When I was shooting conicals and when cleaningthere are two tighter spots closer to the muzzle and it gets real loose in a few big spots near the bottom. I am thinking about just getting a new Green Mountain roundball Barrel for it. I just dont like my barrel but it doese shoot ok. I would get a 54cal or 58cal. I did ballistics and the trajectory is not far apart between the two, the energy is not too far apart either. I know where to get stuff for a 58cal so that is not a big problem. I am almost thinking the 54cal since it will do the job, roundballs are cheaper, and it is easier to get stuff for. (but the 58cal is somewhat easy to). What do you think? I will use it for the Rocky mountains here in Colorado. (Elk, deer, some day moose). They will both do just fine on these animals. I know that if I start casting, Lee makes a mold for the 54cal to.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 54cal Roundball vs 58cal Roundball

The .54 caliber is much cheaper to shoot, and still has a lot of energy for taking game. Many people believe them to be the perfect caliber for large game such as deer on up. I've never shot an elk with a muzzleloader, but would not be too worried about doing it with a .54 caliber as long as I could get in close and place my shot. Although let me say, I have a real soft spot for the .58 caliber. If you never shot one, they are really something to shoot...
Old 10-30-2006, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have had both and used both I ended up with the 54 it took deer elk and bear for me with out any problems it is my preferance because it has the best trajectory a matter of twist available and handelable recoil. Lee
Old 10-31-2006, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Sharp Shooter

You guys know that I have a 54cal Renegade that my grandpa gave me and it is shooting good. I want to be a PRB shooter and it is doing that. I have had problems with this barrel like pitting (I think), and I think it could be bulged. When I was shooting conicals and when cleaningthere are two tighter spots closer to the muzzle and it gets real loose in a few big spots near the bottom. I am thinking about just getting a new Green Mountain roundball Barrel for it. I just dont like my barrel but it doese shoot ok. I would get a 54cal or 58cal. I did ballistics and the trajectory is not far apart between the two, the energy is not too far apart either. I know where to get stuff for a 58cal so that is not a big problem. I am almost thinking the 54cal since it will do the job, roundballs are cheaper, and it is easier to get stuff for. (but the 58cal is somewhat easy to). What do you think? I will use it for the Rocky mountains here in Colorado. (Elk, deer, some day moose). They will both do just fine on these animals. I know that if I start casting, Lee makes a mold for the 54cal to.
For elk and moose, using a PRB, I'd definitely prefer the .58. The .54 will do as well, but the .58 will provide a little more of a margin for hard to kill game.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 58 caliber Green Mountainis my first choice. Prior to purchasing it three years ago, I never envisioned it to beas accurate as most inlines at 100 yards. That outstanding accuracy can be achieved using either the 280 Buffalo roundball or the 405 Buffalo Ballet HP. I have never tried the 500+grain Buffalo Bullet -- but I bet it wouldn't disappoint me.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Either way it will be a Green Mountain Slow Twist Barrel. I am thinking that maybe the 58cal would be worth it in the long run. If a 100yd shot comes up on a big bull and I couldn't get any closer I think I would wan't that 58cal over the 54cal. I am not the type of person who shoots 50+ shots every week. I would like to start getting to the range more and shooting 20-30 shots a week though. I guess I would still have my 54cal barrel! I think I will go with the 58cal. Probably get it in the summer.

Cayugad, What do you mean you have never been elk hunting? I have been with my rifle and I can't wait to go with my muzzleloader!!! You need to get over to my neck of the woods and go on a guided elk hunt. I am sure you can find some good guides!!! Let me know when you decide to come to CO. Send me a PM and I will help you find a good unit to hunt.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:08 PM
Dominant Buck

I've never elk hunted with a muzzleloader. In my youth I traveled quite a lot hunting elk, moose, bear, even mule deer but always with center fire rifles. When I got into the muzzleloader end of my hunting, I stayed pretty grounded and hunted lots of deer and small game but have yet to make it out west again for elk. I would like a guided hunt where I go in on horse back and they do all the work.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the 58, and like it. The price of shooting both isn't that much different. I'd rather have too much gun, than not enough.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I still don't know for sure. It is a tough choice. The 58cal might be worth it.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

They will both do the job, I just like to be able to make the 150 yd shot if I have to and the 54 I have has a 35.5 inch barrel and groups real tight it likes a max load and that helps too. Lee

Quick Reply: 54cal Roundball vs 58cal Roundball

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.