Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 new omega need some advice >

new omega need some advice

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

new omega need some advice

Old 10-27-2006, 09:55 AM

Default new omega need some advice

My oldest son just got out of college and got his first real job.He gave me an early christmass present last night,a new thumbhole stocked Omega.I allways new I raised that boy right.Anyway I plan on shooting 250 grain shockwaves but need some load advice on powder and primers.I have some 777,but am weary of the infamous "crud ring".Is this for real or an internet myth? Any help you can give is appreciated.

Thanks,
CB
Old 10-27-2006, 11:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: new omega need some advice

ORIGINAL: CAJUNBOWHNTR

My oldest son just got out of college and got his first real job.He gave me an early christmass present last night,a new thumbhole stocked Omega.I allways new I raised that boy right.Anyway I plan on shooting 250 grain shockwaves but need some load advice on powder and primers.I have some 777,but am weary of the infamous "crud ring".Is this for real or an internet myth? Any help you can give is appreciated.

Thanks,
CB
The crud ring unfortunately is not a myth. They are real, they exist and can be a real pain and danger to those that do not understand them and how to treat them. Most of the fowling in a barrel of the rifle will be removed by a simple swabbing of the barrel between shots. This swabbing of the barrel produces better accuracy with most rifles, powders, and projectiles, generally speaking. Also make your first shot count and you will not have to concern yourself with the crud ring.

If you have 777 powder, I would sure try it in the rifle. Some Winchester Triple Se7en primers or Remington Kleenbore primers might help control the crud ring, if your rifle is even going to experience one.

Shoot your first shot, and then try to load a second with out swabbing. If you're able to do so, that is really all that should concern you for hunting. If it is near impossible, that means you will have to swab between shots or find a secondlesser projectile that will allow for a fast second shot. Sometimes its as simple as going to a thinner sabot like a Harvester Crushed Rib or a MMP HP-24 (I believe it is).

You can also find a different powder that will allow you to not swab. For a non swabbing powder which seems made to shoot sabots, I'd recommend Black Mag3 right now. I am kind of impressed with the powder.

If you do not mind swabbing between shots, then take a patch. Dampen it slightly with a mix of 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and car windshield washer fluid. When work that patch down the bore in 4" at a time strokes. When you do reach the bottom breech area you will "feel" a hard crust like in there. Keep working that patch until it disappears. Now run two dry patches, like the damp one, in short strokes. With the barrel dry, load your second shot. In the field this might be an inconvenience. But make your first shot count and while you're giving time for the animal to expire (or run up and chew a hole in you ) you can swab and reload.

Good luck with your new rifle. And you should be proud you raised such a fine young man, and that this young man listened to his lessons when raised and became the fine considerate person he is...
Old 10-27-2006, 11:50 AM

So is the crud ring a potential problem only with 777? Where is the best place to get the mag3 powder? Yes I am very proud of my son.He has grown up to be a fine young manand a pretty good hunter.

Thanks

CB
Old 10-27-2006, 11:59 AM
Dominant Buck

The potential problem lies in it making it harder to load a second shot properly or giving the loader a false sence of being seated on the powder charge when in fact he may well be seated on the crud ring. These "air gaps" can be very dangerous. A simple fix is use a witness mark on the ramrod to be able to check you load... All rifles have a "crud ring" in one form or another. Some of them are soft and not noticed. Some a fine powder and really of no conern. What we have to watch is the ones that effect the loading of the projectile onto the powder. So far 777 has been the most dangerous in that respect. Swab it out, and it is nothing to worry about. Good shooting.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

My sugestion , lap the barrel lightly , or shoot some powerbelts thru first to clean any machine marks , my omega had alot , then 90 grains of blackmag 3 , with winchester primers , yours maybe diferant , but its what my omega likes .
Old 10-27-2006, 12:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I also have a Omega, it has done very well since I fire lapped the barrel;in case you are not familer with the process it is to shoot about 50 lead bullets or PRB with polishing compound in the lub.,this removes burrs and polishes the bore.Mine was much easier to clean and held tighter groups after though I still get the
"crud ring"it is possible to get a second shot with out cleaning with 777,though I normally shot APP if you dont get a bad can it shoots tighter groups and not worry about cleaning till you get home. Lee
Old 10-27-2006, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

Pickup some of the new Winchester 777 primers. I tried them for the first time 2 weeks ago and the crud ring I'd experiencedin the past didn't develope. 18 rounds at the range and no crud ring. A buddy of mine had the same experience.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

My experience with 777 primers also, huge improvement.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

If you already have the 777.. go to Walmart and get yourself a box of Winchester 777 primers.. they're about $5.. I shoot a 250gr shockwave and 120gr of loose 2f 777 and the 777 primers.. and after 5 shots I didn't have a single crud ring issue. I could load shot after shot.. no problem.

I did shoot about 10 conical bullets through my gun w/ a light charge to "break in" the barrel originally.

I get 2.5" groups at 150yds.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the replies.I think I'll give the 777 primers a try.Now about lapping the barrel,seems like I read years ago a procedure for doing this with some type of lapping compound in center fire rifles.Anybody have a recipe or procedure? I probably dont have time to put 50 rounds through before the early muzzloloader season here.

Thanks
CB

Quick Reply: new omega need some advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.