Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Can powder get old? >

Can powder get old?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Can powder get old?

Old 10-27-2006, 08:01 AM

Default Can powder get old?

I'm going into my second year using a blackpowder rifle (stainless omega). Last year I was using pyrodex RS that was given to me and I'm sure it is at least 4-5 years old. It seems to work ok though. I also used 777 pellets. I'm going to the range Monday to try a few different combinations of powder and bullets and I'm wondering if I should buy a new bottle of powder. Does it lose it any power when it ages?
Old 10-27-2006, 08:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Can powder get old?

Powder like anything can be effected by age, moisture, even light in some cases. If the powder is "normally" stored in the original container in a cool dry environment, it will last for many years without a decrease in power or function. I had some Clean Shot that was pushing six years in age, and it shot perfect. But I am very careful in how my powder is stored and where it is kept.
If you have any doubts about the powder, then by all means pick up a new pound of powder and take it with you. That way you do not get there only to find you have wasted a trip and opportunity to usethe range. Also I can understand how some people are concerned over the storage of too much powder on their premise, so use your own common sense in that respect.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:36 AM

As cayugad said age can effect it especially when exposed to air. In my opinion you might want to consider the fact that if you are sighting in with an aged powder and in the middle of the season you run out and buy a new can, it is likely that the fresher powder might have a little more pep to it and force you to re-sight you gun. Not saying it will be a problem, just don't assume it's all good and then kick yourself for not taking this advice as a 130 class deer is bounding away after you shot 6 incheshigh.

Good Luck iwth your rifle
Old 10-27-2006, 08:45 AM

I think I will buy more powder since I will be at Bass Pro buying bullets anyway. They carry american pioneer powder and pyrodex rifle/shotgun, ffg and fffg. What should I buy? If the american pioneer is really cleaner like I have been reading I think I would like to get that.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Personally I really like the Pyrodex P as a powder. Granted it is dirty, but no matter what you shoot you have to clean the rifle. Pyrodex P burns cleaner then RS for sure. As for the American Pioneer Powder, after my last testing with a new pound of the 3f, I'm afraid to say they lost a future sale from me. Maybe the APP 2f will shoot perfect, so while I am not impressed with it does not mean it will not shoot excellent groups for you. I have one more rifle to try APP in and then I will just blow it off for fun shooting. Now APP is a very clean powder. No swabbing, and clean up is easy. Maybe APP 2f will really work for you.

If I had me an Omega that did not get nasty crud rings from the use of Triple Se7en 2f powder, that is the stuff I would buy to shoot. 100 grains loose and a 250 grain shockwave and I'd gamble you are going to have a good shooting rifle and deadly load. If my rifle got the dreaded crud ring from 777, and I did not want to swab all the time, then I would get a pound of Pyrodex P and shoot the same, 100 grains and the same projectile. Both of those would be safe bets.

Actually, I'd get one of each of the powders mentioned and send lots of time of the range.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:55 AM

The alterantives like pyrodex absorb moisture so it will change with time. True black powder if stored properly wil last for years. Thats why the navy uses it as a comparative test material when doing comparative long term storage tests on other powders.

On that note, theres been original powder caches found that were placed by the trappers of Lewis&Clark vintage that were as good as the day they were placed...

Keep yer powder dry,
D.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:20 PM

I just recently switched from 777 to APP in my stainless Omega; I have been very pleased with it. You may find it worth a try.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have 10 year old cans of pyrodex and never noticed a problem. its how you store it.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:00 PM
BS

My brother is also shooting out of a can [pyrodex RS] that is near 15 years old and works well for him.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:11 PM

When one unloads a .54 Kodiak with a CO2 unloader after an overnight and day hunt worth of time, and on finding a "chunk" worth of a full charge thats the same shape as the breech, one can pretty much assume that the powder absorbed moisture. Might add that the overnight and the days were classical CA sunny summer days, i.e. no rain over the period.

Combine that with the folks at Hogdon stating that it will absorb moisture since they released it in the 70s. Im my book thats more than enough for me to state the stuff absorbs moisture.

Anybody having shot BP knows that moisture degrades powder resulting in variations in velocity, be it Goex, Pyro or what ever. Thats information thats been confirmed since forever.

Now iffen folks opt to work from the same can over extended time thats their perogative, but it doesnt change the fact that the substitute powders are all hydroscopic and will degrade.

D.

Quick Reply: Can powder get old?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.