Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Bore condition when stored vs. hunting >

Bore condition when stored vs. hunting

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bore condition when stored vs. hunting

Old 10-25-2006, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bore condition when stored vs. hunting

I am new to the BP world-recently bought the Omega and love the sport.

I clean between shots and have nice sub-dip can groups up to 60meters- 150gr 777 pellets 250g .50 ShockWave Super Glides-

Here is where my question actually starts:
Sfter shooting last time I throughly cleaned the rifle for storage-including running TC borebutter throught the bore and leaving it greased.

When shooting today I thought I had put enough dry patches through to get the greasy residue out-since Sabots call for dry bores.
First shot flew 8" high at 50m
Clean, Shoot hit back to my zero was at last range visit
Clean, Shoot (two more times) perfect 3shot zero

Now that I am cleaning I want to know what condition to leave the bore-the next time the rifle goes to the field it will be for meat, not paper-I don't want to have a 8" flyer when its a trophy.

I clean my bore with Cabelas brand citrus cleaner solvent-will I get fowling/corrosion in the bore if I just let the bore dry and store after cleaning it-and don't put the butter in there? How do you guys do it?

Old 10-25-2006, 03:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bore condition when stored vs. hunting

Every gun is different so test first and be sure.
I use Sheath a light coat protects the bore and it is the only thing I have found that shoots on the aim point with that first shot. I used to clean with boiling water before hunting and go out with a clean barrel but always worried about flash rust. Lee
Old 10-25-2006, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

Ok, So lets say that I shoot a fouling shot before hunting this season-I was planning on setting a load and hunting with that set load until I shoot a deer-no pulling loads.
I go to college so I will be going out every morning and just hunting a few hours a day.-I just don't see it as practical to pull and load 30+ times

If I shoot a fowling shot, then set my new hunting load-what will that do to a barrel-left uncleaned-at the end of a month and a half long season?
Old 10-26-2006, 10:23 AM
Dominant Buck

You could simply set your rifle up to clean bore hitting. This is a lot of work, but a lot of people do that. You start with your CLEAN rifle and shoot one shot. Then go clean your barrel again. Then shoot One Shot. And again and again, until you know exactily where that first shot on your clean barrel will hit. Then you have to make that first shot count.

Of course you know where the rifle hits when fowled, but an 8 inch difference is a lot of difference. You could look for a first shot projectile that matches the fowled projectiles on the target. This might mean loading a powerbelt for instance first, and then an XTP for the following.

Try this, start with a clean barrel and load. Then with a patch, LIGHTLY put a film of bore butter in the barrel. I have read posts that claim this makes the first shot hit the same place as the rest on a fowled barrel. That way you could leave the clean rifle loaded and not have to unload every day in your situation.

I am testing the Sheath for the same properties, as LEE described. He is the one (among a couple others) that suggested this, and since he has always had good information in the past, I am more then willing to learn.

Today when I shoot, I intend to clean the bore with an alcohol Swab and then two dry patches. After that I am going to load. Then I am going to swab the bore with a patch lightly coated with Sheath. My White normally shoots the first hit 2 inches off. I want to see if I can repeat the yesterday testing and get the same POI as the first through the last. I will report back the findings...

Good luck.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:13 PM

I have not experinced that problem, and I don't dry patch the butter out of my encore after storage. I do however run 2 or 3 209 primers through mine which could take care of any excess butter.

Not questioning your shooting skill, but with an 8 inch miss after several good shots, is it possible that it was just a bad shot by you. I'll be the 1st to admit that while I am know to be a pretty good shot, I have been know to let a few fliers go that were nothing but my fault.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

For S&G's try a light gun oil instead of BB for storage or after cleaning protection. Prior toloading run dry patchs through to ensure all the excess oil is removed. Snap a couple of primers just to make sure the breech area is clear and free. Then see if the POI shifted or not!

I don't have any problems with my ML's in this regard and hunt on clean barrels, with not a worry about a possible 2nd or 3rd. I also don't worry about leaving my loaded for extended periods unfiredand never had to worry about cleaning when I do fire. If wet weather I always shoot out the load and completely clean before reloading and hunting again.
I don't like BB, allI use issheath.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:39 PM
bigcountry

I highly suggest not using borebutter on inlines like this that use sabots. What I suggest is, you shoot it at the range, clean it with simply green or simular, store with some good oil barrel down, and before hunting, shoot ya a fouling shot.

In fact, this is the reason I swab every shot. I may get better accuracy not swabbing every shot, but its consistent and before hunting season, I take to the range and ensure its sighted in, go home and clean the breech plug without disassebling the entire rifle, swab the barrel with TC number 13, and take hunting. After the week season, totally clean.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:16 PM
Fork Horn

All good info-

I do a lot of shooting-and think of myself as a good shot-however I am iron sights at ~60meters I do think it was a bore butter induced miss though-further trips to the range will have to be the judge of that

What I ended up doing was running an oiled HOPPS gun oil patch down the bore and a few dries after than to get the excess oil out-HOPPS is much thinner and will still give me rust protection-Ill run a few more dries in the bore before I load though

I feel like a moron for asking but what are the sheath's you are referring to-are they the moisture wicking storage socks?
Old 10-26-2006, 08:32 PM
bigcountry

I quit even using bore butter on my percussion rifle. After a while shooting it, I had this build up burnt in bore butter, that took alot of scrubbing with boiling hot water to get out.

I think sheath is a oil. I don't use it as I got alot of good oils. but any good quality gun oil will do.

Old 10-26-2006, 10:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, light gun oil made by Birchwood Casey "SHEATH".

I actually run my oil patch down then set muzzleon some patches for storing, this makes sure no oil collects in the breech area. I only worry about this when I am going to be shooting in the near future or in prevent during hunting. Then when its time to load her up I run patches to remove excess and wipe of the crown..shes GTG.

Quick Reply: Bore condition when stored vs. hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.