Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 What...now Wal-mart dosen't sell black powder? >

What...now Wal-mart dosen't sell black powder?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What...now Wal-mart dosen't sell black powder?

I went into Walmart a few weeks ago, their archery selection is a joke! They had some black powder stuff, but there hunting section was filled with gimmicks, but very little useful hunting gear (at least for me). The had no field points, climbing sticks, or saftey vests, but had plenty of Cmere Deer and corn and food lures and junk. I guess they sell alot of that stuff.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

All the WalMarts in Albuquerque (that I've been to) have guns and hunting stuff and at least some BP stuff. I only buy a few things there though due to the high prices they want on powder, etc. I get my powder at Sportsmans Warehouse because they are much cheaper than WalMart ($18 vs $25 for 777 loose).
Old 10-14-2006, 06:10 AM

ATFrequires special storage considerations for black powder, especially in quantities over 25 pounds.Stores that sell black powder in quantity havestorage magazines.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:00 AM

The one's around here carry T-7, Pyrodex, and a few others. But not straight black powder. Like most of them they get what is sent to them. The manager of the one near me said she orders things like that in advance because of the needof her customers. This year they have added some really hard to get items.
But like most of them if some bean-counter in NY or L.A. don't think we need it then to bad. Thank Goodness there are a few people who think of their customers.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:38 AM

Pyrodex and 777 is shipped and stored as smokeless powder. It even says so on the container: "Not smokeless powder, but approved to ship (DOT) and store (NFPA) as such."

Black powder isshipped and stored as black powder, of course. Storage regulations for black powder are more stringent. Most places do not sell black powder because it is not worth the hassle.

Get that Buck!!
Old 10-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Typical Buck

I hope someone from Wal-mart reads this and makes the necessary adjustments to their store.
I thought Wal-mart was a store for the "everyday" person, for folks that wanted to get the things they need at an affordable price.
What happened to that philosophy?[>:]
Old 10-14-2006, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in Delaware and they still have every thing m/l and archery. All i know is that you have to get it early b/c if you wait to long it's gone. I see mlaubner you live in Harve de Grace Md not to far from De try a wal*mart in De, there might not be much left considering our m/l season started Nov 4th. But give it a chance.

Bowhunter818
Old 10-15-2006, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

I have never seen black powder at Walmart... only BP substitites. Got five pounds of Pyrodex RS there last year on post-season sale, five bucks a pound... so now I'm a Pyrodex RS shooter!
Old 10-15-2006, 08:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Wal-Mart sells what sells , and doesn't sell what doesn't make what they call a reasonable return , simple as that . Urban stores don't sell as much outdoor related merch as rural stores , so the urban stores no longer carry those items . Basic marketing 101 . I live in a rural area , and our local supercenter still sells firearms and ammo as well as some bp supplies , but they cater only to inline shooters . No roundballs or shooting patches anymore because the market for those was no longer profitable for them. I shoot roundball a lot , so this was annoying to me , but it was their choice to make . You don't get to be the world's largest retailer by making bad decisions .
Old 10-15-2006, 02:28 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: mlaubner

So there I am in Wal-mart picking up my new stainless/comp. Encore frame(they recieved the wrong one..stnls/camo) adn trying to finish the purchase. Have to wait on them to re-order the correct one; but figure I stock up on some new supplies, bullets, powder, primers, and whatever.
The fellow behind the counter informs me they don't sell powder or pellets anymore![]
I thought he was joking, but he was serious.WTF?
Do the Wal-marts's in your area sell black powder or is this a local store issue?
I think its a md thing.[:@] Westminster and Eldersburg Walmats also said they won't be selling it. But I can go back to Ky and they have it all.

Quick Reply: What...now Wal-mart dosen't sell black powder?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.