Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 do i need a wad??? >

do i need a wad???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

do i need a wad???

Old 10-09-2006, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default do i need a wad???

i'm going to try out some remington coreloct bullets today that have a large plastic sabot, do i need some sort of wad under it to prevent any problems due to heat from the powder explosion.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: do i need a wad???

No.. the sabot acts as a wad. I shoot Remington 405 grain FP bullets out of an orange .458 Knight sabot all the time with excellent accuracy.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks cayugad. i bought them to try out in my renegade just for the heck of it.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:42 PM
Typical Buck

Wow... a 405gr sabot - now THAT is appealing. Unfortunately, my CVA is only rated for a 300gr sabot I think...
Old 10-10-2006, 05:00 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Catus Magnus

Wow... a 405gr sabot - now THAT is appealing. Unfortunately, my CVA is only rated for a 300gr sabot I think...
I started casting a 405 grain pure lead Flat Point .457 diameter bullet some time ago. I use the Knight orange sabot and never put more then 100 grains of Goex 2f under them. I have shot them out of my CVA Staghorn Magnum and they were very accurate. My White Ultra Mag is also very fond of them.

The down range thump was excellent to say the least. I have never hunted with them yet, but could only picture the effect of having a projectile that size hit and flatten out...