HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   New to Muzzle loading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/158898-new-muzzle-loading.html)

bowtechpatriot1 10-09-2006 07:24 PM

New to Muzzle loading

So here i am wanting to get into muzzle loading and know nothing about the sport. well i know the basics like 209 primers powder vs. pellets etc but never dealt with anything. What would your recommendations for some one just starting out as far as which gun to start but also one that will perform good. Im not looking to spend alot but am particular about markmanship. I am looking at a couple at Gander Mtn just because they seem cheap but yet not cheaply made. One is the Optima 209 Magnum 50 cal, another is the Kodiak 50 cal, or even the Genesis by Remington. what are the differences or what should i look for. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

[/align]

rem 700 10-09-2006 07:44 PM

RE: New to Muzzle loading

I'd recommend a T/C Omega z5. Around $250; an affordable and great ML. The Optima and Kodiak are good performers accuracy wise, but are indeed cheaply made. The Genesis I'm not sure on, though. They all are made simply, with barrel and breech plug cleaning that's very fast. But, the CVAs aren't made with the same quality of items. I'm guessing the Genesis is better, but I'd place my bets on T/C for best quality(and warranty, too!). Any other questions, we'll answer them as best we can :)

cayugad 10-09-2006 07:45 PM

are you going to be mounting a scope on this rifle or use the open sights? Any of the rifles you mentioned will, with the right powder charge and projectile provide you with good accuracy. Which one fits you the best? Which one appeals to you?

They all have basically the same features as far as parts and how they are going to operate...

bowtechpatriot1 10-09-2006 08:02 PM

i am planning on mounting a Leupold 3-9x40 scope on it. i was told that i should buy a muzzle loader with a stainless barrel as they clean easier and hold up better. as far as what fit me good i thought that the optima fit nicley and i do like the omega but looking at it in the stainless version was getting a little pricey.

[/align]

KBacon 10-09-2006 08:11 PM

bowtechpatriot1.. also realize that the CVAs that you are looking at do not have stainless steel barrels.. but instead are nickel coated steel.. made to look like stainless. If the barrel looks yellowish at all... then it's nickel coated.. if it looks grey.. then it's prolly stainless. The Omega would also be my choice of gun... and the synthetic stainless model runs about $370 if I remember right. I also know that Dicks has the camo thumbhole model w/ the stainless barrel on sale for $400... it's a "Dick's Exclusive"... which is made just for them. It does not have the fluted barrel that all other thumbhole guns have.. but I don't know if the flutes are actually worth anything on a ML... other than for looks.

cayugad 10-09-2006 08:15 PM

Anything stainless steel is going to get pricy. You have to make up your mind and pay the price or get blue. There is really nothing wrong with a blued rifle.

If the Optima fits you and is in your price range, then you have half your problem settled. It sounds like you have good optics picked out. I personally would look at the NEF Sidekicks, Omega's, and perhaps a Knight. Some of them might be more then you want to spend though.

Roskoe has had some good reports on the Genesis you mentioned.

USNRETHunter 10-10-2006 07:47 AM

As with most things, buy the best you can afford. I am partial to Knight, there are several on Gunbroker in stainless in the $400 range. The T/C is also a fine choice. When I was shopping, although I did like the feel of the CVA's, I steered clear due to quality and safety concerns. A cheap rifle is....well...a cheap rifle. I have never said, "Man, I sure wish I had spent $200 less and gotten the xxxx."

I have a 3x9x50 Bushnell scope on my DISC Extreme and took a doe with it last year at 85 yds at, literally, the last minute of shooting for the day, 30 minutes past sunset. I could not have done it w/o that 50mm scope.

frontier gander 10-10-2006 11:53 AM

Heres another muzzleloader to look at. I own one .50 cal with advantage timber and stainless steel barrel. Rifle is built solid. Ive carried quite a few muzzleloaders and never felt one that fit perfectly in my hands. Even comes with a recoil pad thats actually useable. Shoots great patterns.

http://www.winchestermuzzleloading.com/products/x150.htm

frontier gander 10-10-2006 12:00 PM

kbacon.. The cva kodiak pro is available with SS barrel. The cheaper kodiak with shorter barrel is nickle or black only. I prefer the SS barrel myself. Easy to clean up stains with a steel wool pad.

bowtechpatriot1 10-12-2006 04:09 PM

hey sorry for being gone so long, lifes kinda hectic. anyones to through another loop into the plan, i am left handed so most bolt actions are not gonna work and a thumb hole is definetly not gonna work. and in your personal opinions is stainless got an advantage or at least for the money over blued.

[/align]