Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 350gr Maxi Hunters for Moose >

350gr Maxi Hunters for Moose

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

350gr Maxi Hunters for Moose

Old 09-14-2006, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default 350gr Maxi Hunters for Moose

I have cast a whole bunch of the above bullets but I am getting the feeling that some of you feel they may not be heavy enough for moose. If so why? I am pushing them out with 75 grns of Pyrodex out of my Hawken .50cal.

I have taken deer with these but not an elk or moose yet and want to here if someone has had a bad experience with them.

Thanks
Eric
Old 09-14-2006, 03:28 PM

Default RE: 350gr Maxi Hunters for Moose

Although T/C recommendsthese bullets for deer sized game - and wants you to use the maxi-ball for moose; I'm sure they would work on a broadside rib shot. Penetration would likely be somewhat marginal, though. Have you looked at the 405 and 444 grain Powerbelts?
Old 09-14-2006, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is plenty heavy. I know guys who have taken moose with a 54cal roundball (224gr) with no trouble. Mountain men used the 50cal and 53cal roundball without trouble. I would suggest a solid point instead of a hollow point though. The weight is fine though.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:49 PM
Fork Horn

I have tried some great plains bullets in at 385 grs. My rifle shoots them well at 80 grns of powder and I know they will do the job.

Thanks for the help

Eric
Old 09-15-2006, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gelarson

I have tried some great plains bullets in at 385 grs. My rifle shoots them well at 80 grns of powder and I know they will do the job.

Eric
Are those the Flat Points? If so the Hornady Great Plains is a great conical. That would be a really good load. I think you should use those. That is perfect for moose.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try the similar looking Buffalo Bullet. It has engagement bands that provide better accuracy than the Great Plains - in my opinion.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/buffalo_bullet_conical_bullets.html
Old 09-15-2006, 11:28 AM

The 385 gr. Buffalo bullet is a proven elk bullet - should be good for moose as well. I have never gotten them to shoot real tight,although accurate enough for large critters out to 150 yards.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:39 AM

Another bullet I would strongly consider for this purpose is the 410 gr. Hornady Great Plains. I shoot this bullet, with a MMP Ballistic Bridge sub-base, ahead of 120 grains of 2F Triple 7. Accuracy is very good. So is recoil. But the load is pretty devastating on large game. You could take an angling shot or break large bone without much of a problem. If you don't use the sub-base, then drop the charge to 100 grains for best accuracy.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:08 PM
Fork Horn

Well I went to the store in Edmonton (Wholesale sports) and all they had was 460 gr Great Plains (Hornady) flat nose and only two boxes at that. I know it is a lot of bullet but better safe then sorry. I will work up a load and start at 80grs and see where it goes from there. I shot 400 + (can't remember the exact wght) maxi balls and they shot well so these should be okay.

Elk hunting with rifle starts on the 17th and moose on the 23rd. I can't wait.

thanks for the help
Eric

PS: I wend out and shot them with 80grns of pyrodex and they shot well and grouped great. Here moosy moosy moosy
Old 09-17-2006, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

That will be really good conical. I know that is a lot of bullet but that is what you wan't!!!

Quick Reply: 350gr Maxi Hunters for Moose

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.